Raita is prepared by mixing thick yogurt with grated vegetables like carrot, cucumber and bell pepper
- Wheat Bread 2 Slices
- Thick Plain Yogurt 2 Tbsps
- Cucumber 2 Tbsps (Grated)
- Carrot 1 Tbsp (Grated)
- Bell Pepper 1/2 Tbsp (Grated)
- Green Chile a Pinch (Finely Chopped)
- Spinach 4 Leaves
- Tomato 1 – 2 Slices
- Toasted Sesame Seeds a Pinch
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Red Chile Powder to Taste
- Lemon Juice few Drops
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper Powder to Taste
- Ghee as Required
Instructions for method of preparation:
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro.
- Wash, lightly peel and remove the seeds inside the cucumber before grating it.
- Wash, peel, remove ends and grate the carrot.
- Wash, remove ends, discard seeds and grate the bell pepper (capsicum).
- Dip tomato slices in toasted sesame seeds and keep aside.
- Use a food processor to grate the vegetables or grate them using thick side of a stand grater.
- Toast the bread in a toaster or on a flat pan till it turns golden brown and crisp.
- Apply ghee to the bread and sprinkle salt and red chile powder on one side to taste.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together grated cucumber, carrot, bell pepper, cilantro black pepper powder, lemon juice and salt.
- Leave for a minute or two to let the flavors penetrate and stir in thick yogurt to finish off the raita.
- To prepare the sandwich, layer the bread slice with 2 spinach leaves.
- Layer with few tablespoons of prepared raita.
- Layer the raita with tomato slices and then the spinach leaves.
- Place the bread slice on top and cut the sandwich diagonally.
- Serve raita sandwich immediately.
Tips for making perfect!
Raita is prepared by mixing thick yogurt with grated vegetables like carrot, cucumber and bell pepper. It is then layered on a toasted bread slice along with spinach and tomato slices.
Serve raita sandwich immediately.
Makes: a Serving of Raita Sandwich.
Notes: Green Chiles are optional.
Suggestions: Lightly squeeze out all the juices from the grated ingredients if planning to store the prepared sandwich for couple of hours. Strain the yogurt for couple of hours to remove all the water content and to make the yogurt thick.
Variations: Use any mix of vegetables at hand to make the raita. Also use any kind of bread slice at hand.
Other Names: Perugu Pachadi.