|Name||Michael Fred Phelps|
|Nick Name||Baltimore Bullet, Gomer, Phelps 2, MP, Iron Mike|
|Date of Birth||30th June 1985|
|Birth Place||Baltimore, Maryland, USA|
|Arm span||200 cm|
|Family||Father – Fred Phelps (Maryland State Police)
Mother – Debbie Davission (Middle School Principal)
Elder sisters – Whitney(Swimmer), Hilary(Swimmer)
|Education||School – Towson high school
College – Sports Marketing and Management from the University of Michigan
|Pastimes||* Listens hip hop and rap
* Foot ball
* Video games
* Hanging out with Herman
|Position||CEO of North Baltimore Aquatic Club|
* Power Bar
|Honor||A street in Baltimore city is named as ”The Michael Phelps Way“|
|Awards||* World Swimmer of the Year Award : 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007
* American Swimmer of the Year Award : 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2007
* Golden Goggle Male Performance of the Year : 2004, 2006, 2007
* Golden Goggle Relay Performance of the Year: 2006, 2007
* Golden Goggle Male Athlete of the Year: 2004, 2007
* ESPY Best Olympic Performance (2005)
* USOC Athlete of the Year Award: 2004
* USSA Athlete of the Year Award: 2003
* World Championships Swimmer of the Meet (2003)
* James E. Sullivan Award (2003)
* Teen Choice Awards – Male Athlete (2005)
* Laureus World Sports Sportsman of the Year Award (Nominated): 2004, 2005, 2008
* USA Olympic Team Member: 2000, 2004, 2008
* Kiphuth Award as the best swimmer at the U.S. Summer Nationals : 2001, 2002 and 2003
* Suvilian award (2004)
* Sportsman of the year: 2004
* FINA trophy at 2003 World Championships as top swimmer
|Olympics Medals||Gold Medal :
* 400 m individual medley, World Record
* 4 x 100 m freestyle relay, World Record
* 200 m freestyle, World Record
* 200 m butterfly, World Record
* 4 x 200 m freestyle relay, World Record
* 200 m individual medley, World Record
* 100 m butterfly, Olympic Record
* 4 x 100 m medley relay, World Record
Bronze Medal :
|Achievements||* ‘First Olympian ever to win 8 medals in a single Olympics
* Named as ‘Swimmer of the Meet’ World Championships (2003)
* 4 individual world records in the 200m free, 200m fly, 200IM and 400IM.
* First American male to qualify for 6 individual Olympic events
* Only swimmer in history to set 5 individual world records in one international meet.
* First male swimmer to break two world records in separate events in the same day.
* Only male swimmer to win 5 individual events in a single Nationals meet.
* 2003 USSA Male Athlete of the year
* Only man to ever win a U.S. National title in three different strokes at one national championship
* Youngest member of 2000 Olympic Games, team he was only 15 years old.
* At the US Olympic Trials in 2004 set a record of qualifying to compete in six individual events.
* He broke five world records at the 2003 world championships
|Facts||* His mother received the Maryland’s “Teacher of the Year” twice.
* When he was 7 years old his parents got divorced
* In his younger days, he was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity disorder (ADHD).
* Started swimming at the age of 7.
* His sisters influenced him to start swimming. Elder sister Hillary swam for the University of Richmond. He attended 1996 Olympics trials to support his sister
* The first stroke he mastered was the backstroke.
* In his early days he got trained at the North Baltimore Aquatic Club
* Is compared with former swimmer Mark Spitz
* Always wears headphones on pre-race and listen to Eminem, Biggie, G Unit rap songs.
* Works as a volunteer assistant with University of Michigan swim team
* Used to watch tapes of Thorpe for several years to assist in his training.
* He spends 2-5 hours a day and 80,000 metres a week in the pool.
* Bought a Mercedes-Benz ML320 SUV for his mother.
* He drives a used Cadillac Escalade customized it with a stereo system, three TVs and an X-Box.
* Teammates call him ‘Gomer’ because he reminds them of Gomer Pyle, the good-natured, naive country boy played by Jim Nabors.
* Played integral role in Creating www.swimroom.com (Sport’s first social networking sites where swimmers communicate and share their ideas)
|Co-starred in||“Unfiltered” (First behind the scenes in the sport if swimming)|
|Co-founder of||“Swim with the Stars” along with Crocker and Lenny Krayzelburg|
|Featured in||* National commercials with NBC Sports, Visa, Omega, Argent, AT&T Wireless
* “Where’s your card” TV and print PSA campaigns
|Celebrity Judge||In Miss USA Pageant, 2005|
|National Spokesman for||Boys & Girls Club|
|Driving||* Arrested for drunk & drive in Salisbury, Maryland
* Ordered to serve 18 months probation, fined $250 and obliged to speak to school students about drinking and driving and had to attend a Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD) meeting
|Owns||House at Fells Point section of Baltimore|
|Endorsements||* $5 million per year
* $1 million bonus from swimsuit maker Speedo (for winning eight gold medals at the 2008 Olympic Games)
|Pets||English Bulldog called ‘Herman’, Family cat ‘Savannah’|
|Favorites||Food – Lasagna, Pretzels, Cheeseburgers
Dessert – French vanilla ice cream in a waffle cone
Music – Rap
Movie – Austin Powers
Artist – Eminem
TV show – Sports Center
Pro team – Baltimore Ravens
Sport to watch – Football
Sport to play – Basketball, Lacrosse, Baseball, Soccer,
Actor – Denzel Washington, Chris Farley
Actress – Cameron Diaz
Athlete – Michael Jordan
Book – To Kill a Mockingbird and biographies of Lance Armstrong and former Green Bay Packers coach Vince Lombardi
Video games – NHL HITZ , XBOX
|Bowman about him||“He has an adult body, a body made for swimming, to go along with an incredible ability to relax and focus under pressure, probably better than any athlete I’ve ever seen. He’s largely unaffected by all the attitude and hype. He doesn’t allow that to affect his performance in any way. And he’s fiercely competitive. He’s a water creature. You don’t want him on land.”|
|Signature stroke||Butterfly stroke|
|His Hero||Pablo Morales (1992 Olympic champion in the 100m butterfly)|
|His motivating thought||He hung a poster of Ian Crocker above his bed after his team mate beat him at the 2003 world championships, to help motivate him for Athens.|
|Inspiration||He was inspired when he saw swimmers Tom Malchow and Tom Dolan compete at the 1996 Summer Games in Atlanta|
|Retirement wishes||To become a financial advisor and motivational speaker|
|About eight gold medals||“I don’t think anything is too high. The only way to think like that is if you put limits on yourself. The more you use your imagination, the faster you go. If you think about doing the unthinkable, you can. The sky is the limit.”|
|Co-authored||Michael Phelps: Beneath the Surface with Brian Cazeneuve of Sports|