|Name||Kunnankudi R. Vaidhyanathan|
|Date of Birth||2nd March 1935|
|Date of Death||8th September 2008|
|Profession||Violinist, Music Director, Actor, Producer, Singer|
|Birth place||Kunnakudi, Sivagangai|
|Family||Father – Ramaswamy Sastry
Mother – Meenakshi
Wife – V. Bageeradhi
V.R. Shekar (Musician in A.R.Rahman’s Troupe),
V. Srinivasan (Civil Engineer),
V. Sridhar (IT Engineer in USA),
V. Balasubramanian (Doctor in Australia)
Daughter – Bhanumathi Ramakrishnan
Son-in-law – Ramkrishnan (Director)
|Debut|| Music Director – ‘Vaa Raja Vaa’ (1969)
Producer, Actor – ‘Thodi Raagam’
|His father||* His father was a scholar in Sanskrit, Tamil and Carnatic Music, as well as a great composer and exponent of Kathakalakshepam.|
|Known for||* Dexterity and subtlety in handling the violin
* Introducing novelties in his violin concerts
* Producing offbeat sounds from the violin
|Deep faith||In therapeutical merits of music|
|His trademark symbols||Sacred Ash and a big saffron dot smeared prominently on his forehead|
|Famous for||His experiments on violin, which he refers as fingering techniques|
|Performed concerts in||Singapore, Sri Lanka, Malaysia|
|Performed concerts with||* Maharajapuram Santhanam
* Sooramangalam Sisters
* Seergazhi Govindarajan
|His play reflects||* His different moods
* Demands of his audience
|Positions||* Secretary of ‘Tamil Nadu Iyal Isai Nadaga Mandram (Sangeetha Nataka Academy)’ for several years
* President of ‘Raga Research Centre’.
* Secretary of Thyaga Bramha Sabha, in Tiruvaiyaru at Thanjavur district, and organized the annual Aradhana festival of the great Carnatic music composer Saint Thyagaraja for 28 years.
|Titles|| * Sangeeta Mamani
* Carnatic Isai Gnani
* Violin Chakkravarthy
* Thirai Isai Mannan
* Bharata Violin Vadya Bhyaskara, given by Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan’s spiritual guru, Pudukotai Sadguru Sree Santananda Swamigal of Bhuvaneswari Peetham.
* Deiviga Isai Tendral
* Innisai Vendar
* Isai Chakravarti, awarded by the Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan Rasika Anbu Kuzhu, Madurai.
* Isai Perarignar, awarded by the Tamil Isai Sangam, Madras.
* Kalaimamani, awarded by the Tamil Nadu Eyal Isai Nataka Manram.
* Nada Brahmam, awarded by the Narada Gana Sabha, Madras.
* Pannisai Arasu, awarded by the Tamizh Isai Sangam, Tiruvaiyaru.
* Sangeeta Ratna, the Mysore Chowdiah memorial award given by the Academy of Music, Bangalore.
* Sangeeta Sagaram, awarded by the Cultural Centre for Performing Arts, Madras. Along with the title, Vaidyanathan received a silver Violin.
* Tantrinadamani, awarded by the Sankaracharya of the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham.
* Varuna Mazhai Vaidyanathan, awarded in Salem in recognition of his feat demonstrating that music has the power of controlling nature.
* Villisai Vendan, awarded by the Nellai Rasanandam Nalvazhi Nilayam, Madras.
* Violin Chakravarti, awarded by the Cholavandan Kunnakudi Vaidyanathan Rasikar Anbu Kuzhu.
* Violin Everest, awarded by the organisers of the Thiruvarur Kakithakara Street Mariamman Festival.
* Violin Kalaratna, awarded by the Tiruppavai- Tiruvembavai Music School, Madurai, during its anniversary celebrations.
* Violin Samrat, awarded by the Delhi Karnataka Sangeeta Sabha.
* Yezhisai Chakravarti, awarded by the Priya Cultural Academy, Madras.
* Yezhisai Enthal, awarded by the Sree Krishna Chaitanya Math near Nagercoil.
* Violin Isai Chakravarti, awarded by the Federation of Sabhas in 1992.
|Awards||* Best Music Director Award for ‘Thirumalai Thenkumari’ (1970)
* Padmashri” – 2005 – Government of India.
* State Artiste of the Tamil Nadu Governemnt (1984-1987).
* Doctorate from Annamalai University.
|Asthana Vidwan||* Kanchi Kamakoti Math.
* Sringeri Math.
* Tiruvavaduturai Adheenam.
* Darmapuram Adheenam.
* Kunnakudi Adheenam.
* Sri Raghavendra Swami Math, Manthralayam.
|Music||* Started to perform concerts at the age of 12.
* Accompanied Shri Ariyakudi, Shri Semmangudi and Shri Maharajapuram and Nagaswara vidwans such as T.N. Rajarathinam Pillai and Thiruvenkadu Subramania Pillai at the age of 12.
* Entered into the movie industry through the film orchestra of modern Theatres, Salem.
* His Carnatic base and light music knowledge helped him to join in HMV as a freelance Music Director mainly for producing Bhakthi Songs.
* His interest in new attempts and innovations led him to work with veteran thavil vidwan Valayapatti Subramanian and they have performed over 3,000 shows together.
* In the film ‘Deivam,’ he made all his playback singers including Madurai Somu appear on the screen.
|Facts||* The youngest of four children.
* His son-in-law directed ‘Thodi Ragam’ film and two of his relatives worked as light boys.
* Has composed music for more than 20 movies.
* Has received more than 200 awards.
* He learnt Veda Sastram and Sangeetam from his father.