|Lovingly called||* MGR,
* Yezhai Pangalan
* Pruatchi Nadigar by Karunanidhi
* Ponmanachemmal by Kirupanda variar
* Makkal Thilagam by Thiru Tamilvannan
* Kalaivendhan by Singapore fans
* Nruthiya Chakravarthi by Sri Lankan fans
* Puratchi thalaivar, , vaathiyar – by his fans
|Profession||Politician, Actor, Producer, Director, philanthropist|
|Date of Birth||17th January, 1917|
|Birth Place||Kandy, Sri Lanka|
|Died||Dec 24, 1987|
|Family||Father: Marudhar Gopalan Menon
Brother: M.G. Chakrapani
Sisters: Kamalakshi, Sumitra
|Wives||*Bargavi (a) thangamani – She died early due to illness.
*Sathanandavathi also died soon of TB
|Education||upto third standard|
|Early life||* He lost his father, a brother and a sister very early in his life.
* After the death of his father, his family moved to Kumbakonam from Kandy to live with his uncle who was working in the ‘Original Boys’ Company.
* He was not able to continue his studies and to overcome poverty he joined the ‘Original Boys’ Company where apart from acting, he learnt to read and write.
* His initial salary was Rs.5/- per month.
* His first role in acting was as ‘Uthran’ a character in Mahabaratham who helps Arjunan.
|Milestones in his movie career||* Sathi Leelavathi (1936) directed Ellis R.Dungan
* Acted in a film titled Chaya as hero which was not released.
* Rajakumari (1947) directed A.S.A.Sami – was a breakthrough and he was noticed by the public.
* Nallavan Vaalvaan (1961) by P.Neelakandan – 50th film
* Oli Vilakku (1968) by Sanakya – 100th film
* Siriththu Vaazhavendum (1974) directed by S.S.Balan- 125th film
* Maduraiyai Meetta Sundara Paandiyan (1978)directed by P.Neelakandan ( last film)
* Only two of his films were given an ‘A’ certificate
* Koondukkili(1954) – Only movie he had starred with Sivaji Ganesan
* Ulagam Sutrum Valiban(1973) – Shot mostly in Foreign locations
* “Unnai Vida Matten” supposed to be the last film that was never released.
|Other language movies||* Hindi – Ektha raja(1951)
* Telugu – Sarvathikari(1951)
* Malayalam – Jenova(1953)
|Policies & formula in his films||* would never smoke or take alcoholic drinks
* would never physically or mentally abuse women
* Robin Hood formula—champion of the underdog, who is truthful, generous and totally honest.
|Political ascendancy||*1952 – met Arignar Anna
*1953 – joined the Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam.
*1962 – became the member of the state Legislative Council(MLA)
*1967 – Was elected as MLA from Parankimalai constituency and was the minister for Small Savings.
*1969 – was the treasurer of DMK after Mr.Karunanidhi became the chief minister.
*1972 – October 16, he founded the Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (ADMK), which contested and won the subsequent elections.
*1977 – changed his party name to AIADMK(All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam)
* 1979 – he contested the elections from Madurai and became the Chief Minister for a second time.
* 1984 – he contested the elections for a third time that too when he was undergoing treatment in US and won the election and became the Chief Minister from Aandipatti.
|Trademark||Always seen wearing a white gulla and dark sun glasses.|
|Party Symbol||Two leaves|
|Sivaji Ganesan||Originally MGR was the one supposed to act in Anna’s play ‘ Shivaji kanda Indu Samrajyam’ but V.C. Ganesan acted in it and later became our famous Sivaji Ganesan.|
|Anna||about him – “þó¾ì ¸É¢ ±ý ÁÊÂ¢ø ÅóÐ Å¢Øó¾Ð. «¨¾ ±ý þ¾Âò¾¢ø ±ÎòÐ¨ÅòÐì ¦¸¡ñ§¼ý”|
|some of his achievements||* Fifth world Tamil conference in Madurai in 1981
* Krishna Water Project
* Mid-day Meal Scheme
* Thanjavur Tamil University
* Mother Teresa Women’s University
|Visited||Sri Lanka, Burma, Singapore, Japan, Hong-Kong, France, Mexico, USA and USSR|
|Awards||* Posthumously awarded “Bharat Ratna” by the President of India.
* 1983 the University of Madras conferred on him, Honoris Causa, the degree of Doctor of Laws
* A doctorate from the Arizona University, US.
* 1978 the film ‘Maduraiyai Meetta Sundarapandian’ won the Tamilnadu Govt’s best film award.
* 1972 National Award for the Best Actor for the film “Rickshakaran”
* 1969 ‘Adimai penn’ – Tamilnadu Govt’s best film and Filmfare award
* 1968 ‘Kudiyurindha kovil’ – Tamil nadu Govt’s best film
* 1967 ‘Kavalkaran’- Tamilnadu govt’s best film
* 1960 he refused to accept the ‘Padmashree’ award from the Govt of India.
* 1956 Film fans association award for the film ‘Ali baba and forty thieves’
* 1954 ‘Malai kallan’ received Govt of India award
|Firsts||* Alibabavum Narpathu Thirudargalum(1956) was the first colour movie in Tamil.
* AM Raja and Jikki gave their first duet in one of his films.
* became the first film actor in India to be the Chief Minister of a state.
* Also the first time in history a candidate won an election in absentia especially when he was in a foreign country with a serious ailment.
|Travel||* he had never ridden two wheelers in Tamil films
* had phobia for speed and was scared to ride fast on horses
* Always preferred trains instead of airplanes.
|Educational institutions named after him||* MGR Memorial Charitable Trust
* MGR Higher Sec School and home for the Speech and Hearing impaired.
* MGR-JANAKI College of Arts and Science for Women
* Dr. MGR Educational and Research Institute(It is a Deemed university has an offshore campus in Sri lanka)
|fascination for||cameras, watches, weapons and the country Japan.|
|Favourite food||Kesari and fruits particularly mangoes.|
|stamp||A stamp was issued in memory of him on 17/01/1990|
|famous song||“Iraivaa Un maaligayil” from the film Oli Vilakku|
|Iruvar||Manirathnam’s movie Iruvar was based on his life and his relationship with Karunanidhi.|
|fan associations||* had the most number of fan associations in the world.
* there were around 35 thousands fan associations.
|Shuffle with M.R.Radha||survived a bullet wound when he was shot at by fellow actor M.R. Radha on January 12,1967 (which affected his speech). That did not dither his fans to watch his films.|
|Kannadasan||After the death of Kannadasan, he gave an interview in which he admitted whenever he was down, he used to listen to the song “Acham Enbathu Madamaiyadaa’ from ‘Mannathi Mannan’ written by Kannadasan.|
|Adimai Penn||* He had a fierce clash with TMS during recording of songs for the film Adimai Penn and brought in a new singer called SP Balasubramaniam.
* Jayalalitha became a singer through his efforts in this film.
|En Kadamai||MGR went to the birthday of Mr.Kamaraj and presented him with a diamond ring, and announced that Kamaraj was his leader, and Anna was his guide. This angered DMK supporters who boycotted his movie ‘EN Kadamai’ and threatened to burn theatres screening MGR films.|
|Illness||* On october 6, 1984 he was admitted in Apollo hospitals for diabetes and kidney failure.
* On oct 16 he suffered from Stroke.
* On November 4 he was admitted to the Brooklyn hospital for treatment.
* On december 19 he received a kidney transplant from his niece Leelavathi and returned to chennai the Feb next year.
|LTTE||As reported in the Time magazine (May 11, 1987), he thrashed J.R. with the words, ‘Tamil groups are spearheading the war against the dictatorial and fascist actions of the Jayewardene regime, and they should be congratulated and helped.’|
|Facts||* Maruthur was the ancestral village in the Kerala state from where his parents hailed.
* Till 1953 he was in Congress and used to wear kathar and wear vibhuti on his forehead.
* When Naalai Namatehy was in the production stage Kamalahasan was booked to dance with MGR for the song Naan Oru Medai Padagan. Later MGR replaced this qualified dancer for obvious reason.
* Initially MGR feared to dance with L. Vijayalachumy for the song ‘Aadaludan Paadalai Kettu Rasippathilethaan Sugam Sugam Sugam’ in Kudiyiruntha Kovil. But later he agreed on condition no outsiders are allowed during the rehearsal and filming of the song scene.
* At a time when MGR and Karunanithi were friends, MGR acted free for a Megala Pictures-Engal Thangam, Vali wrote the first line “Naan Alavodu Rasippavan…. and was thinking of the next line. Karunanithi immediately responded with “Ethaiyum Alavindri Koduppavan” for the second line. Everyone accepted.
*In the film Kavalkaran there is a song “Ninaithen Vanthaai Nooru vayathu” in the second half of the song he appears with the kulla. It was after this song that he started to permanently wear the white kulla.
* In later days made it a point to start his films with shooting on the Thaikkulam first, mainly song scenes.
* Over 2 million people attended his funeral.
* His offical date of birth is Jan17, 1917 but his actual date of birth may be plus or minus six months.
* His third wife V.N.Janaki, a former actress, divorced her husband Ganapati Bhat, to marry him.
* Devar films produced the maximum number of 17 of his films.
* Director P.Neelakandan directed a maximum of 17 of his films.
* His elder sister died of tuberculosis when she was just 20.
* Department of Anna Center for Public Affairs was established in the University of Madras, out of a donation from him on behalf of the AIADMK party during the Post Centenary Silver Jubilee celebrations of the University of Madras in 1983.
* 22 people committed suicide when they heard that he was admitted in the hospital. They hoped that their deaths would make him better.
|Extracts of his last will||He registered his last will on January 18, 1987.
a) to establish and maintain a free home for the poor speech and hearing impaired in the Ramavaram Gardens.
b) to establish and maintain a memorial at 27, Arcot Mudali Street, Chennai containing a vast collection of books and various articles and awards received by him during his lifetime from various organisations and people.
c) to maintain and derive income from his properties at Sathya Gardens, Saligramam and Sathya Studios, Adyar and use it to maintain the free home for the poor speech and hearing impaired at Ramavaram Gardens and maintain and derive income from the MGR Market, Alandur and use it to maintain the MGR Memorial House, T.Nagar
|Books||* MGR, the man and the myth by K Mohandas
* M.G. Ramachandran, my blood brother by Attar Chand
|Memorial||* MGR samadhi is located on the Marina Beach next to Anna samadhi
* MGR Memorial House at 27,Arcot Mudali Street, T.Nagar, Chennai 600017.