|Native place||Kumbakonam, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Date of Birth||05.12.1966|
|Education||* School: Don Bosco Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Egmore, Chennai
* College: Graduated in Economics from Loyola College
* Attended Major Management Programme “Owner/President Management
Programme” [OPM] in Harvard Business School, Boston, USA.
|Languages known||English, Tamil and Hindi|
|Family|| Father: Murasoli Maran
Mother: Mallika Maran
Grandmother: Shanmugasundarathamal (Karunanidhi’s sister)
Brother: Kalanidhi Maran
Sister: Dr. Anbukkarasi.
Wife: Priya Dayanidhi Maran
Children: A daughter and a son
|Date of Marriage||26 August 1994|
|Favourite Sports||Golf, cricket and tennis|
|Likes to read||Books and journals in the areas of Current Affairs, Political Science, Social Science, Commerce, Finance, Global Trade and Information Technology.|
|Literary Accomplishments||Contributed several editorials to Kungumam – a Tamil Weekly; and associated with print media and information technology for the last 13 years|
|Known for his||Sophisticated looks and Designer clothes|
|Party Affiliation||Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK)|
|Politics||* Entered politics after the death of his father Murasoli Maran.
* Contested as a Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) Party candidate to the 14th Lok Sabha from Central Chennai Constituency in Chennai in the State of Tamil Nadu in Parliamentary Elections held in April – May 2004.
* Elected as a Member of Parliament by winning with a margin of over 1,34,000 votes and securing over 62% of the votes polled.
* Appointed as Union Minister for Communications and Information Technology w.e.f. 26.05.2004.
|Facts||* Was the youngest cabinet member.
* Has attended various Seminars, Conferences and Expositions in the field of Political Economy, Management, Visual and Print Media.
* Used to accompany Dr. Karunanidhi for all functions.
* Widely traveled
* He initially found it difficult to address voters in Tamil and it was M K Stalin who spearheaded his election campaign.
* Resigned his cabinet post due to the fallout between Dr.Karunanithi’s family and the Maran brothers.
|Awards||* GSMA Honours Indian Government for Achievements in Mobile Communications (13th February, 2007)
* Awarded Bharat Asmita Jana-Pratinidhi Shrestha Award by MAEER’s Maharashtra Institute Technology (MIT) School of Management, Pune for the best young exponent of Parliamentary Practices and promotion of Democracy on 3rd February, 2005.
* Received young global leader award at the maiden summit in SWITZERLAND (24th June, 2005)
* Was awarded Sigaram-15 Achiever Award in the field of Politics by India Today Group on 25th August, 2005.
|Address||18, Gopalapuram, 2nd Street,
Chennai – 600 086 (Tamil Nadu)
|About losing his MP seat||“I don’t care about the ministerial berth. Ministry does not make any difference to me. I am only sad that an accusation has been put on me that I indulged in anti-party activities.”|