For diabetes, diet restriction & light exercise like walking is a must as this controls the sugar level. Grape fruit is a splendid thing in the diet of a diabetic. Have 3 fruits at a time, 3 times daily.
A tablespoon of amla juice mixed with a cup of fresh bitter gourd (karela ) juice and taken daily for 2 months will reduce blood sugar.
Dry the leaves of mango tree in shade. Powder and preserve them. Half a teaspoon of this powder twice a day in the morning and evening proves beneficial.
3-4 teaspoons juice of bitter gourd (karela), taken every morning on an empty stomach gives good results.
Coarsely powder fenugreek seeds (methi dana) and have 1-2 teaspoon in the morning everyday. (Vary dosage according to individual tolerance level).
Eating 10 fresh fully grown curry leaves (kari patta) every morning for 3 months is said to prevent diabetes due to heredity factors.
Soak 2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi dana) in 1 cup water at night. Drink this water first thing in the morning and preferably eat the seeds too.
Chew 8-10 basil (tulsi) leaves in the morning.
Guidelines for a diabetics diet:
* Eat plenty of vegetables like lettuce, tomato and fruits.
* Use the following fruits and vegetables sparingly and with caution: banana, seedless grapes (angoor), cheeku, leechi, custard apple (sharifa), dry fruits, mango, raisins (kishmish), potatoes, jackfruit (kathal), carrots (gajar), peas (mattar), beans, sweet potato (shakarkandi), beetroot (chukandar).
* Foods rich in fibre should be preferred. Daily intake of calories should be restricted. Use proteins moderately.
* Milk & nuts intake to be restricted to the minimum whereas have plenty of curds and buttermilk.
* Avoid all refined foods & sweets.
* Drink 8-10 glasses of water daily.