The last four editions of Indian Premier League passed by and 5th Edition is about to begin. The founder of IPL has absconded and almost bankrupt. Kochi Tuskers Kerala fans have lost their team thanks to non Keralite owners who jumped into the IPL bandwagon without a bank balance.
But cricket is a religion in India and fans are smart enough to choose the best teams they are support. Finally cricket is a medium that unites diverse nation like India. So who do you think will be the winner of IPL 2012.
With Australia , West Indies, Sri Lanka and England busy in their international teams, some of the IPL players will be joining late, but that gives opportunity for other IPL players to impress their pay master. Also with the T20 World Cup about to begin, all the players get good practice in subcontinent wickets.
Chennai Super Kings
Indian Cricket Team Captain , Mahendra Singh Dhoni, leads the Chennai Super Kings (CSK). Last year CSK was on roll.Under the captain Indian Won the ODI world cup and then CSK won the IPL title . What a roller coaster ride. Among the previous editions the teams in last tournament looked in good shape and the topper chart always remained going up and down.
In each addition of IPL, CSK have crossed the initial hurdles. Runners-up, semi-finalists, champions, champions reads CSK track record across the first four seasons of the IPL. CSK play the IPL 2012 opener against Mumbai Indians(MI).
- MS Dhoni (Captain, who had a bad outing against national team)
- Srikkanth Anirudha (Son of Indian Cricket Team selector)
- Ravichandran Ashwin (Indian National Squad Player who delivers. Definitely good choice on subcontinent pitches)
- Subramaniam Badrinath (Experienced local Chennai lad. Good Player)
- George Bailey
- Doug Bollinger
- Dwayne Bravo (West Indies all rounder)
- Faf du Plessis
- Ben Hilfenhaus(led the wicket-takers’ charts in the Australia-India Test series. Good Australian Fast bowler)
- Michael Hussey
- Ravindra Jadeja(He better perform. Costliest buy in auction)
- Shadab Jakati
- Joginder Sharma
- Suraj Randiv
- Nuwan Kulasekara
- Yo Mahesh
- Albie Morkel
- Abhinav Mukund
- Suresh Raina (Leading run-getter in the IPL’s short history and plays well)
- Wriddhiman Saha
- Scott Styris
- Sudeep Tyagi
- Kuthethurshri Vasudevadas
- Ganapathi Vignesh
- Murali Vijay (Experienced local Chennai player)
With all Team’s strong on paper and looking for better return on Investments, this season is going to be challenging for CSK who have tasted few setbacks. Will CSK be the first team to win hat tricks IPL trophy needs to be seen.
Deccan Chargers(DC) are a strong squad on paper. But they have not been able to put a credible performance that will delight their fans. In this season Ishant Sharma will not be playing due to Ankle injury. Parthiv Patel joins the squad and some changes are there. But the team management will have to work out on how to utilize the best from all individuals and deliver a performance that can bust the opponents.
- Kumar Sangakkara (former SL captain leading DC. Lot of responsibilities to turn around a team filled with players but team work needed)
- Ashish Reddy
- Anand Rajan
- Ankit Sharma
- Tekkami Atchuta Rao
- Akash Bhandari
- Darren Bravo(Not a costly purchase for DC, but WI batsmen is a strong off side plater. Definitely an asset for DC batting lineup)
- Bharat Chipli
- Daniel Christian (the Australian all rounder brings his experience to the DC squad which has more new faces)
- Kedar Devdhar
- Shikhar Dhawan
- Jean-Paul Duminy
- Manpreet Gony
- Daniel Harris
- Ishank Jaggi
- Abhishek Jhunjhunwala
- Chris Lynn
- Amit Mishra
- Tanmay Mishra
- Parthiv Patel
- Veer Pratap Singh
- Syed Quadri
- Dwaraka Ravi Teja
- Akshath Reddy
- Biplab Samantray
- Ishant Sharma (ruled out due to IPL injury)
- Sneha Kishore
- Sunny Sohal
- Tanmay Srivastava
- Dale Steyn
- TP Sudhindra
- Rusty Theron
- Cameron White (The former Australian Twenty20 captain is a powerful middle order batsman and right-arm leg-spin bowler)
- Arjun Yadav
Will DC perform this season. It can. A good day on ground can turn around the fortunes and charge up for the remaining season. Rajasthan Royals(RR) showed that in Initial season. It is up to the individuals to give their best and hope for the best.
With the like of Sehwag, Sri Lankan Captain Mahela Jayawardene, David Warner and the newly acquired Kevin Pietersen in the list of Delhi Daredevils (DD) arsenal, DD has one of the most formidable lines of big hitting batsmen. Sehwag lead team hopefully leaves the inconsistency of last season behind them in the present season.
It time for DD players to be on the same page and enjoy the roller coaster ride of IPL with consistency.
- Virender Sehwag(Captain. Was in news for sitting out of national team due to injury but declared fit for IPL. Dangerous player to be watched. When he hits ballers are helpless)
- Manprit Juneja
- Varun Aaron
- Ajit Agarkar(An experienced bowler who can do well with the bat too)
- Puneet Bisht
- Robin Bist
- Gulam Bodi
- Doug Bracewell
- Unmukt Chand
- Aaron Finch
- Mahela Jayawardene(New Recruit from closed Kochi franchise is a good addition. His form and performance speak about his abilities. Definitely a good buy by DD management)
- Glenn Maxwell
- Morne Morkel(The south african right-arm fast bowler will have to adjust to subcontinent conditions. Also his international experience will be asset to local players)
- Shahbaz Nadeem
- Yogesh Nagar
- Prashant Naik
- Pawan Negi
- Naman Ojha(With one eye on national squad, its time to perform)
- Irfan Pathan(With one eye on national squad, its time to perform)
- Kevin Pietersen(the new addition to DD. His IPL stint and his innings do not need any description. Has done well for RCB)
- Kuldeep Raval
- Andre Russell
- Aavishkar Salvi
- Ross Taylor
- Roelof van der Merwe
- Venugopal Rao
- Vikas Mishra
- David Warner
- Tejashwi Yadav
- Umesh Yadav
- Zafir Patel
- Travis Birt
- Colin Ingram
DD have been inspiring by their play every time IPL season begins. But as the season progress , somewhere the whole unit is not able to click. It is time for Sehwag to be a role model and show the Indian Team Management what he is capable off. His form has been questioned and also his selection of shorts. But IPL gives him a chance to prove his leadership skills also. Can DD make it to the next around. It is tough to tell. But they have the potential which if utilized properly can entertain IPL fans.
Kings XI Punjab
Bollywood actress Preity Zinta and leading industrialist Ness Wadia supported, Kings XI Punjab (KXIP), is lead and coached by Australian Adam Gilchrist. Gilchrist opened his season with KXIP last season and he has been source of inspiration to the team. Probably for the same he was awarded the coaching role in addition to leading the Punjab team. KXIP has managed to remain in IPL though their contract were terminated along with RR in previous editions.
Gilchrist has been commended for this ability to identify and bring about the best from each individual. Out of the 14 games in last season they lost their first match and then won three matches back to back. After that they lost their next 5 matches in a row. Then they won 4 matches and lost their next match to the Deccan Chargers which crashed their dream to make it the playoffs and gave the Mumbai Indians and Kolkata Knight Riders a chance.
- Adam Gilchrist (former DC Captain and Australian player has been an inspiring leader)
- Parvinder Awana
- Love Ablish
- Amit Yadav
- Azhar Mahmood
- Bhargav Bhatt
- Bipul Sharma
- Stuart Broad (Injured Stuart Broad uncertain for IPL 5)
- Piyush Chawla(It was his good performance in IPL3 that paved the way for his selection in the ICC Twenty20 World Cup in the West Indies. Time to impress again to make it to Indian Team)
- Siddharth Chitnis
- Paras Dogra
- James Faulkner
- Gurkeerat Singh
- Harmeet Singh (Returning after having a three-year stint with Deccan Chargers)
- Ryan Harris
- David Hussey(Younger brother of Australian cricketer Michael Hussey, he is a right-handed batsman and can also bowl right-arm offbreaks)
- Praveen Kumar
- Vikramjeet Malik
- Mandeep Singh
- Shaun Marsh
- David Miller
- Abhishek Nayar(formely playing for Mumbai Indians, come in the middle order and is a good addition)
- Ramesh Powar
- Nathan Rimmington
- Nitin Saini
- Rajagopal Sathish
- Shalabh Srivastava
- Sunny Singh
- Paul Valthaty(outstanding game in the 2011 Indian Premier League against the reigning champions Chennai Super Kings. Valthaty raced to 120 not out in 63 balls as the Kings XI Punjab chased down the mammoth 189-run target with six wickets and five balls to spare at Mohali. It was the first hundred of IPL 2011 and 13th overall and this century is his first fastest century)
Can KXIP deliver the much-needed break to Punjab fans depends on the magic of Gilchrist. Unfortunately it is too much for Wicketkeeper batsmen. But Gilchrist has handled pressure and knows how to deliver in tight situations. Wishing KXIP all the best.
Owned by India’s richest industrialist Mukesh Ambani, Mumbai Indians (MI) has the crickets biggest name in dressing room. Little Master ‘Sachin Tendulkar‘ is part of the MI squad. Tendulkar though voluntarily opted out of Indian National T20 squad, has been the integral part of MI squad. Despite Injuries he has been a big influence. This season he handed over his captaincy to Harbajan Singh. A move which has raised eyebrows but justified given that he can focus on his batting and mentoring the young players.
- Harbhajan Singh(Captain who has supported by little master. Chance to prove. Last season he proved his abilities. Bowling form is a concern)
- Richard Levi (Hero of the first game and definitely bright prospects for MI and South African team)
- Abu Nechim
- Amitoze Singh
- Aiden Blizzard (Australian batsman is an explosive batsman at the top of the innings)
- Yuzvendra Chahal
- James Franklin (New Zealand Cricket who joined MI in 4th season of IPL. Played well in the Champions League)
- Herschelle Gibbs (New to MI team but experienced player. Previous season was part of Deccan Chargers. Combined with Aiden they are dynamic on the field and good purchase by MI management. )
- Davy Jacobs
- Mitchell Johnson (the Australian cricketer is a left-arm fast bowler and left-handed batsman
- Dinesh Karthik (wicket-keeper batsman, has been in good form in IPL)
- Kuldeep Yadav
- Dhawal Kulkarni
- Richard Levi
- Clint McKay
- Lasith Malinga (Batsmen are surely wary of him. Great bowler who brings great experience)
- Sushant Marathe
- Sujit Nayak
- Pragyan Ojha
- Munaf Patel
- Thisara Perera
- Robin Peterson
- Kieron Pollard ( Explosive performance in IPL helped him in increasing his price in IPL and also making it back to West Indies team)
- Ambati Rayudu (played a pivotal role in Mumbai reaching the finals in 2010. Has been one of the good run getters for MI team)
- Jaydev Shah
- Rohit Sharma (most exciting player who has delivered in IPL whenever needed)
- Rahul Shukla
- RP Singh
- Tirumalasetti Suman
- Pawan Suyal
- Aditya Tare
- Sachin Tendulkar (Any team will feel great to have his presence in team)
- Apoorv Wankhade
- Suryakumar Yadav
Harbajan Singh, who led Mumbai to the Champions League T20 title last year, was the automatic choice to take over the leadership mantle from tendulkar. Can MI deliver in this season needed to be see. But for sure they have the ammunition has shown in today’s opening match and definitely one of the strongest contender for grabbing IPL 5.
Kolkata Knight Riders
Kolkata Knight Riders have been a team who have been struggling to come up to mark in previous IPL outings but last season they performer better. Sharukh Khan sponsored team, is relying on Gautam Ghambir captaincy to revive the franchise and deliver some good blows to opponents.
KKR management gamble to drop Kolkata lad ‘Sourav Ganguly’ created uproars among kolkata fans. But the performance of KKR team in last season silenced the fans as their team. KKR finished amongst the top teams after the completion of the mid season game-play. The final match against Mumbai Indians played at Eden Garden witnessed, for the first time, an overcapacity with over 80.000 tickets sold.
- Gautam Gambhir (His captaincy bought around the turn which Sharukh was looking for. 2012 season he will be watched)
- Sarabjit Ladda
- Lakshmipathy Balaji
- Rajat Bhatia
- Manvinder Bisla
- Debabrata Das
- Marchant de Lange (a South African cricketer is a tail-end right-handed batsman and a right-arm fast bowler. bought for $50,000)
- Brad Haddin
- Iqbal Abdulla
- Chirag Jani
- Jacques Kallis (south african all rounder has been in good form with the bat. In recent T20 against india his performance was too good with bat)
- Brett Lee
- Brendon McCullum (the New Zealand international cricketer was bought for $900,000 by KKR management in 2012)
- Eoin Morgan
- Sunil Narine (the young West Indian cricketer was bought for $700,000. had good outing against indian team during India-West Indies one-day series in 2011. Was also in demand during auction process)
- Yusuf Pathan (a big hitter, who will be watched on how he performs)
- James Pattinson
- Sanju Samson
- Pradeep Sangwan
- Iresh Saxena
- Shami Ahmed
- Shakib Al Hasan
- Laxmi Shukla
- Ryan ten Doeschate
- Manoj Tiwary
- Jaydev Unadkat
Kolkata Knight Riders was led by Sourav Ganguly in IPL 1 and IPL 3 and Brendon McCullum in IPL 2. Gautam Gambhir has been captaining the team since 2011 and the owner seems to have lot of hopes on him. Having finished previous edition on 4th place, this time KKR will try it to make to champions league and definitely move close to the title fight.
The winner of the initial IPL edition team has change in guards. The wall of Indian Cricket team ‘Rahul Dravid’ is leading the team. With a stronger batting line up, Rajasthan Royals will have to perform consistently. Last season they started strongly and were in contention for a place in the playoffs before fading towards the end.
- Rahul Dravid (Having retired from International Cricket, he is stepping in Shane Warne Shoes.
- Stuart Binny (Karnataka’s batsmen played well in the Ranji Trophy last season. If he can get this Ranji performance in IPL, then definitely it will be worth watching)
- Johan Botha (his form with the bat was crucial to the Royals’ early success. The team will need more of the same from him to compete this year).
- Deepak Chahar
- Dinesh Chandimal (Sri Lanka batsmen has been in good form and has been bought by royals for $50,000.He is a wicketkeeper who can bat )
- Ankeet Chavan
- Aakash Chopra
- Paul Collingwood (The all rounder Englishmen will be a good choice)
- Kevon Cooper
- Aditya Dole
- Samad Fallah
- Faiz Fazal
- Shreevats Goswami
- Brad Hodge (Performed well in the Big Bash and the Bangladesh Premier League)
- Ashok Menaria
- Sumit Narwal
- Pankaj Singh
- Amit Paunikar
- Ajinkya Rahane
- Abhishek Raut
- Owais Shah
- Pinal Shah
- Amit Singh
- Sreesanth(Former kochi player, will have to control his temperament and deliver the goodies if RR team management gives him a chance to play)
- Shaun Tait
- Siddharth Trivedi
- Shane Watson (The Australia allrounder will arrive at the end of April but has been consistent with the bat)
- Dishant Yagnik
In Recent past Rajasthan Royals has been in news for the change in hands of Owners. But for all of us it is players who deliver. It will be interesting to watch Rahul Dravid play and see if RR can change their fortunes on the points table.
Pune Warriors India is a franchise cricket team that plays in the Indian Premier League (IPL) representing the city of Pune, Maharashtra.
Pune Warriors India Squad 2012
Sourav Ganguly (Captain), Mohnish Mishra, Callum Ferguson, Mithun Manhas, Manish Pandey, Michael Clarke, Tamim Iqbal, Marlon Samuels, Dheeraj Jadhav, Harshad Khadiwale, Anustup Majumdar, Harpreet Singh
Yuvraj Singh, Jesse Ryder, Angelo Mathews, Luke Wright, Steve Smith, Sachin Rana, Raiphi Gomez
Robin Uthappa, Mahesh Rawat, Eklavya Dwivedi
Rahul Sharma, Alfonso Thomas, Murali Kartik, Ashish Nehra, Kamran Khan, Wayne Parnell, Shrikant Wagh, Ashok Dinda, Ali Murtaza, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Krishnakant Upadhyay
Royal Challengers Bangalore
Last year’s runners-up Royal Challengers Bangalore open their IPL 5 campaign against a confident Delhi Daredevils side that crushed Kolkata Knight Riders in their lung-opener.
For the Daniel Vettori-led Bangalore, it would be their first outing of the season and with an explosive line-up of batsmen, West Indian swashbuckler Chris Gayle being their biggest star, the almost-there team of 2011 would look to go the whole hog this time.
Bangalore would hope that Vettori can carry forward the legacy of Anil Kumble and bring the same zest that he brought to his national team while at the helm of perennial underdogs but proven giant-killers New Zealand.
Besides Gayle, Bangalore would also expect fireworks from the Indian national team’s in-form batsman Virat Kohli.
The Delhiite, whose sensational run with the bat in the tour of Australia and the Asia Cup made as many headlines as India’s wretched run in both the outings, will look to continue the fine form.
Daredevils, on the other hand, have got the perfect start to their campaign after Irfan Pathan scored a brisk unbeaten 42 to guide them to a comfortable eight-wicket win over Kolkata Knight Riders in a rain-curtailed 12-overs-a-side lung-opener Thursday night.
Their bowling was the key as Morne Morkel scalped three wickets 3 for 18 runs, while Umesh Yadav and Roelof van der Merwe bagged two apiece to restrict the Knight Riders to 97 for nine.
Chasing the small total, Aaron Finch (30 from 27 balls) and skipper Virender Sehwag (20 off 13) gave the Daredevils a solid start putting on 49 for the opening wicket.
The Daredevils, however, will be without the services of big names like Mahela Jayawardene, Kevin Pietersen and David Warner in as they are busy playing for their respective countries.
Besides, Kiwi Ross Taylor is also unavailable after he broke his hand during the third Test against South Africa recently.
With key players missing for the first half of the event, Sehwag will have to take the extra load in along with Naman Ojha and Venugopal Rao. A lot of hopes are also pinned on their new signing, West Indies’ Andre Russell who would like to make an impact with the bat at the big stage.
The spin line-up, however, looks a bit raw with left-arm spinner Shahbaz Nadeem leading the attack and which will also have Roelf van der Merwe.
Royal Challengers Bangalore: Daniel Vettori (Capt.), Mayank Agarwal, KP Appanna, Sreenath Aravind, Arun Karthik, Raju Bhatkal, AB de Villiers, Tillakaratne Dilshan, Muralidharen Gautam, Chris Gayle, Mohammad Kaif, Abrar Kazi, Zaheer Khan, Virat Kohli, Charl Langeveldt, Andrew McDonald, Abhimanyu Mithun, Muttiah Muralitharan, Karun Nair, Dirk Nannes, Ryan Ninan, Harshal Patel, Asad Pathan, Luke Pomersbach, Cheteshwar Pujara, Rilee Rossouw, Jamaluddin Syed Mohammad, Saurabh Tiwary, Vinay Kumar, Vijay Zol.