There are has been instances in the past when Tamil movies grabbed the attention of bollywood and the whole of India. No surprises for guessing that most of these had the name of Rajnikanth attached to them. The iconic actor who is treated with the admiration and worship that a demigod can dream of, is coming up with his latest movie this September. The sci-fi movie titled Endhiran is being regarded as the Indian equivalent of I’Robot and Bicentennial Man. Directed by Shankar who has had his share of Bollywood exposure with Anil Kapoor starrer, Nayak and starring Aishwarya Rai Bachchan as Rajnikanth’s love interest, Endhiran has already received the title of the most awaited release of the year.
There is a long list of fascinating details on Endhiran which many are unaware of. We have handpicked 15 of them for you to be astonished by. Read on and do keep an eye on your jaw. You may end up dropping it!
- Endhiran has a production budget of Rs. 200 crores (Rs. 2 billion) which makes it the most expensive movie in the history of the Indian film industry. The additional costs of marketing the movie haven’t been announced yet.
- Rajnikanth was roped in with a salary of Rs. 20 crores with an additional bonus in the form of a share of the movie’s profits.
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan on the other hand, was paid a whopping Rs. 6 crore (Rs. 60 million), which makes her the highest paid actress in India.
- Rajnikanth will be appearing in two roles in the movie.
- Shah Rukh Khan was once considered for the role was also interested in the seat of the producer. However, SRK refused the role stating that the script was “half-baked” and “dull” in comparison to his other films at that time.
- Aamir Khan and south star Ajith Kumar were the other popular names associated with the project.
- Among the actresses who were in the run for the role were Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone, Asin Thottumkal, Trisha Krishnan, Shriya Saran, Priyamani, and Nayanthara.
- Amitabh Bachchan was approached to don the role of the villain in the movie. Later Danny Denzongapa was signed on for that role.
- Academy Award winners, A.R. Rahman and Resul Pookutty are in charge of the music composition and sound editing respectively.
- The soundtrack album’s release rights were purchased by Think Music for Rs. 7 crores (Rs. 70 million)
- Yuen Woo Ping who coordinated the breath-taking stunts in Hollywood blockbusters like The Matrix Trilogy, Kill Bill series and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon is behind the action sequences in Endhiran
- The animatronics in Endhiran has been undertaken by Stan Winston Studio. The studio’s noted works include some of Hollywood’s greatest movies including record-breaking franchises like The Terminator, Jurassic Park, Aliens, The Predator and recent blockbusters Avatar, Iron Man and G.I. Joe: rise of Cobra.
- The elaborate visual effects scenes in this movie have been created by Steven Spielberg’s special effects company, Industrial Light and Magic. ILM has worked for hundreds of Hollywood movies including those which come under the banner of Star Wars, Jurassic Park, Iron Man, Transformers, Harry Potter, Indian Jones, Pirates of the Caribbean and Star Trek.
- HBO will be handling the release of the movie in foreign markets.
- Endhiran will have the largest worldwide release for an Indian movie and the event will take place on 3 September 2010.