Sambar is a vegetable stew or chowder based on a broth made with tamarind and toor dal, and is very popular in the cooking of southern regions of India especially in Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh. Each state in the South prepares it with a typical variation, adapted to its taste and environment.
- Red Chilies – 1/2 Kg.
- Coriander Seeds or Dhaniya – 1/2 kg
- Bengal Gram – 50 grams
- Thuvar Dhal – 50 grams
- Pepper – 25 grams
- Cumin seeds – 2 tablespoons
How to make Sambar Power
- Fry the above ingredients without oil in a dry frying pan till they turn light reddish brown.
- Then, Grind (dry) all the above dried ingredients in a mixer-grinder to get finely grinded Sambar powder.
- Thus, Sambar Powder is ready to be used in any of the recipes.