Paneer in Almond Gravy
Onion is fried till brown and ground into paste along with tomatoes
- Paneer 8 – 10 Small Cubes
- Onion 1 Large
- Tomato 1 Small
- Green Chile 1 – 2
- Whole Almonds 1/2 Cup
- Cumin Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Garam Masala Powder 1/4 tsp
- Red Chili Powder 1/4 tsp
- Kasoori Methi 1 tsp
- Bay Leaf 1
- Star Anise 1/2 Piece
- Cilantro few Sprigs
- Oil 1 Tbsp
Instructions for method of preparation:
- Cut the paneer into small cubes and keep them soaked in cold water till required.
- Wash and finely chop the cilantro leaves.
- Remove stems, wash and slice the green chile.
- Wash and roughly chop the tomato.
- Peel and slice the onion.
- Soak almonds in warm water for couple of minutes and peel the skin.
- Discard the peeled skin and grind the almonds into smooth paste adding enough water.
- Heat oil in a pan, add sliced onion.
- Fry till onion turns light brown in color.
- Cool the fried onion to room temperature and grind onion, tomato and green chile into smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, bay leaf and star anise.
- Fry till cumin seeds change color, add ground onion tomato paste, almond paste, red chili powder, garam masala powder, crushed kasoori methi and salt.
- Boil till oil separates from the almond gravy (around 10 minutes).
- Stir in cubed paneer, cilantro and remove from heat.
- Serve paneer in almond gravy with pulka or roti or with pulao.
Tips for making perfect!
Onion is fried till brown and ground into paste along with tomatoes. Almond gravy is prepared with ground blanched almonds, onion tomato paste and spice powders. Paneer is cubed and added the to almond gravy as a finishing step.
Serve paneer in almond gravy with pulka or roti or with pulao.
Makes: around 2 Servings of Paneer in Almond Sauce.
Notes: Make sure not to over cook once the paneer is added.
Suggestions: Make sure not to burn onion while frying.