Masala Lemon Cucumber
Lemon cucumber is peeled and chopped into small pieces
- Lemon Cucumber 1 Large
- Garam Masala Powder 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds Powder a Pinch
- Red Chili Powder 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric Powder a Pinch
- Tamarind 1 inch Piece
- Salt to Taste
- Mustard Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Urad Dal 1/4 tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 3 – 4
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
Instructions for method of preparation:
- Peel, wash and halve the lemon cucumber.
- Chop the lemon cucumber into small pieces. Discard the seeds if desired.
- Soak tamarind in few tablespoons of warm water for sometime and extract all the juice discarding any veins.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add lemon cucumber pieces and salt.
- Cook covered on low flame for couple of minutes till cucumber pieces are just cooked.
- Stir in garam masala powder, red chili powder, tamarind extract, cumin seeds powder and turmeric powder.
- Cook on low flame for a minute or two or until cucumber pieces turn soft.
- Add a splash of water if required while cooking the onion to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve masala lemon cucumber over plain steamed rice or with roti.
Tips for making perfect!
Lemon cucumber is peeled and chopped into small pieces. It is then cooked along with whole and powdered spices.
Once cucumber turns soft, serve masala lemon cucumber over plain steamed rice or with roti.
Makes: around 2 Servings of Masala Lemon Cucumber.
Notes: Make sure cucumber is cooked well before removing from heat.
Suggestions: Make sure lemon cucumber is not sweet before cooking it. Adjust spice with red chile powder.