Lemon Cucumber Onion Gravy
Lemon cucumber is peeled and chopped into thin chunks
- Lemon Cucumber 1 Medium
- Onion 1 Small
- Tamarind 2 inch Piece
- Urad Dal 1 Tbsp
- Whole Red Chiles 1 – 2
- Jaggery(Grated) 1 Tbsp
- Turmeric Powder a big Pinch
- Salt to Taste
- Mustard Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Urad Dal 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
Instructions for method of preparation:
- Peel, wash and halve the lemon cucumber.
- Discard the seeds and chop the lemon cucumber into thin inch size pieces.
- Peel and roughly chop the onion.
- Soak tamarind in few tablespoons of warm water for sometime and extract all the juice discarding any veins.
- Toast urad dal until light golden brown and remove from heat.
- Roast the red chiles for few seconds and remove from heat.
- Grind the urad dal, red chiles into fine powder using a spice grinder.
- Then add the chopped onion and pulse couple of times and remove onto a bowl.
- Heat oil in a pan, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, add lemon cucumber pieces and salt.
- Cook covered on low flame for couple of minutes till cucumber pieces are half cooked.
- Stir in ground onion red chili paste, tamarind extract, jaggery, turmeric powder and salt.
- Cook covered on low flame for around 8 minutes or until cucumber pieces turn soft.
- Add a splash of water if required while cooking the onion to avoid it sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Serve lemon cucumber onion gravy over plain steamed rice or with roti.
Tips for making perfect!
Lemon cucumber is peeled and chopped into thin chunks. It is then cooked along with whole spices and onion. Once cucumber turns soft, serve lemon cucumber onion curry over plain steamed rice or with roti.
Makes: around 4 Servings of Lemon Cucumber Onion Curry.
Notes: Make sure cucumber is cooked well before removing from heat.
Suggestions: Adjust spice with red chiles. If cucumber or onion is not cooked well, put the curry back on heat and cook covered on low flame till done.