Lemon Cucumber Chutney
For lemon cucumber chutney, spices and lentils are fried till golden brown in color
- Lemon Cucumber 1
- Lemon Juice 3 Tbsps
- Salt to Taste
- Mustard Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Cumin Seeds 1/4 tsp
- Urad Dal 1/4 tsp
- Broken Dried Red Chiles 4 – 5
- Asafoetida a Big Pinch
- Curry Leaves 5
- Oil 2 tsps
Instructions for method of preparation:
- Peel, wash, remove ends and halve the lemon cucumber.
- Discard the seeds and chop the lemon cucumber into small pieces.
- Heat a pan on low heat, add all talimpu ingredients in order.
- When mustard seeds start spluttering, remove from heat and add to a bowl and add salt.
- Using a pestle thoroughly crush the spices and herbs together.
- Now add the chopped cucumber pieces and lemon juice to the crushed spices.
- Crush cucumber pieces together with spices for couple of times and leave the cucumber chutney aside for a minute or two.
- Adjust any seasonings if necessary and serve quick lemon cucumber chutney with steamed rice or with dal rice.
Tips for making perfect!
For lemon cucumber chutney, spices and lentils are fried till golden brown in color. They are then crushed into powder and chopped lemon cucumber / dosakaya is added to the spices and lightly crushed. Serve quick lemon cucumber chutney with steamed rice or with dal rice.
Makes: around 4 Servings of Quick Lemon Cucumber Chutney.
Notes: Make sure not to burn the spices.
Suggestions: Adjust the red chiles according to preference. Use a food processor if necessary to lightly crush the cucumber pieces.