Tips for making perfect!
This authentic Indian chutney is so versatile and goes with most foods and tastes great on crackers,sandwiches,grilled chicken,fish,chips and of course no Indian meal is complete without freshly prepared chutney.Generally its prepared fresh and traditionally served with curry and other side dishes in a traditional Indian meal to contrast the flavors.Its a very popular chutney here in India and there are numerous ways of preparing chutneys and each home has its own own version of making it.In the North its called ‘Hari Chutney'(hari means green in hindi) or ‘Green Chutney’.Down south chutneys are eaten with idlis(steamed rice cakes),dosas,vadas and steamed rice. You can have it as a side dish,as a spread or a dip for savouries like pakodas and samosas,bread or cheese rolls….the choice is yours.
- 2 big bunches of fresh coriander leaves (washed and chopped)
- 2 green chillis (slit lengthwise)
- 2 dry red chillis
- 1 tbsp channa dal (senaga pappu, bengal gram lentil)
- 1 tbsp urad dal(minappa pappu, black gram lentil)
- ¼ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 ½ tbsp tamarind paste
- pinch of sugar or jaggery(optional)
- Seasoning- 1 tsp mustard seeds and few curry leaves
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, let them splutter. Add the dry red chillis, urad dal, channa dal and fry constantly till brown (approx 2-3 minutes on medium heat).
- Remove from pan. To the same oil add the coriander leaves and green chillis and fry for 3-4 minutes on medium heat stirring continuously.Remove from fire and cool.
- Grind the fried dals mixture, tamarind paste and salt till the dals are well ground.Next add the coriander leaves and green chillis and grind to a slightly coarse paste adding little water.
- Heat 1/2 tsp oil in a pan.Add mustard seeds and let them splutter and then add the curry leaves and fry for 10-15 seconds and turn off heat.Add this to the chutney and mix.Serve with idli,dosa,vada or as a dip for any savoury of your choice.
I like my chutney to have a slightly sweet tangy taste so I add some jaggery or sugar.This can be stored in the refrigerator upto a week but it is advisable to finish it in a day or two.My 3 yr old and I use the left over coriander/cilantro chutney as a spread on toast and its absolutely heavenly!