Traditional chicken curry cooked here in most Andhra homes is very simple.Button onions (sambar onions or shallots) are generally used in cooking non-veg dishes which are better tasting than the normal onions and have a mild sweet flavour.You can use the normal onions too.
This chicken recipe is a basic chicken gravy curry.Simple,easy and tasty!
- 1/2 kg chicken ,cleaned and cut into medium sized pieces
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup button onions/sambar onions(peeled)
- whole spices (3 elachi,2″dalchini,6 cloves,one star aniseed)
- 2 cups of water
- chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 5-6 dry red chillis
- 1 tsp saunf (fennel seeds)
- 2 elachi (green cardamom)
- 4 lavanga (cloves)
- 2″ dalchini (cinnamon)
Grind the button onions coarsely.Remove and keep aside.
Dry roast dry red chillis,coriander seeds,elachi,dalchini,cloves,saunf and make a paste adding some water.
Heat 3 tbsps of oil in a skillet and add whole spices.Now add the coarsely ground onions and fry till brown.
Add ginger garlic paste and chicken and fry for 3-4 minutes.
Now add the ground paste and salt and mix well.
Cover and cook till oil seperates.
Now add 2 cups of water and cook till done.
Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve with rice or rotis.