Pachadi refers to a traditional South Indian side-dish. Broadly translated, it refers to food which has been pounded. The definition of the word ‘Pachadi‘ is different among different South Indian regions. While in Kerala & Tamilnadu, pachadi is a side-dish curry similar to the north Indian Raita, in Andhra Pradesh, pachadi is a fresh pickle and has very low shelf life, a maximum of two or three days. It is made of fresh vegetables and is served as an accompaniment for rice, snacks like idli, dosa, pesarattu. The vegetables can include all and any kind, sometimes the peel of the vegetable is also used, for e.g the peel of Ridged Gourd knows as beerapottu pachadi in Telugu. These pachadi are very hot and spicy to taste. The vegetables used are more or less raw or sauteed in peanut oil to give a delicious taste.
In Kerala and Tamilnadu states pachadi is eaten fresh and typically made of finely chopped and boiled vegetables with coconut, green or red chillies and tempered in oil with mustard seeds, ginger and curry leaves. Curd/yogurt based pachadi can be made of any vegetable, although cucumbers, squash, mango, bitter gourd or pineapple are common. Pachadi is commonly eaten with rice and a lentil curry.
Ugadi pachadi, prepared on Ugadi day in Andhra Pradesh, is a concoction of fresh neem blossoms, jaggery, salt, tamarind juice, red chilli powder and raw green mango pieces.
- To Grind:
- Grated Coconut – 2
- Green Chilly – 3
- Mustard Seeds – 1 pinch
- Cumin Seeds (Jeera) – 1 pinch
- To Saute:
- Coconut Oil – 2 tspn
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry Red Chillies (full) – 3
- Curry Leaves – 1 stem
- Beetroot grated – 2
- Lady’s finger cut into thin round slices and fried in oil – three
- Salt – as to taste
- Curd – 100 ml
- To Garnish:
- Sauted Dry red Chillies, Curry Leaves and Mustard Seeds.
- Pour oil into a kadai and splutter Dry red Chillies, Curry Leaves and Mustard Seeds.
- Add the beetroot to this and saute well.
- Grind the first ingredients and add to the beetroot and mix well.
- Add the curd and salt and mix well.
- Fry the lady’s fingers and mix well.
- Garnish with Dry red Chillies, Curry Leaves and Mustard Seeds.