- Raw Rice (Pacha rice)2 cups
- Cooked white rice 1/2 cup
- Grated tender coconut 1 cup
- Baking Soda 1/2 teaspoon
- Dosa batter 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Soak raw rice for about two hours.
- Grind cooked rice, tender coconut, soaked raw rice and sufficient water, grind to a soft batter.
- Batter should be of pouring consistency.
- Add dosa batter and mix well.
- Ferment over night in a warm place.
- The next morning add baking powder and salt to taste.
- Heat the appam kadai.
- Pour a spoon of batter to the kadai and spread the batter in the kadai.
- Close the kadai with lid and cook appam.
Appam goes well with coconut milk.