Tips for making perfect!
Vijayaraj Azhagarswami Naidu, professionally known by his stage name Vijayakanth, is a Tamil film actor and politician in Tamil Nadu, India. He is the founder of the Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam and a Member of Legislative Assembly representing Virudhachalam, Tamil Nadu, India.
Vijayakanth was born as Vijayaraj raja on 25 August 1952 in Madurai, Tamil Nadu. His family deity is Veera Chinnamma at Kangeyanatham. His parents are KN Alagarswami and Aandal Azhagarswami. His father had a rice mill and was a popular man in the region. Alagarswami was Madurai’s Counsellor for two terms.
Vijayakanth had a stepmom by the name Rukmaniammal and she had 7 children and on the whole, alagarswami had 11 children He married Premalatha on 31 January 1990 and had two sons named Vijay Prabhakar and Shanmuga Pandian. Upon entering the film industry to pursue an acting career, Director Khaja (who directed his first film) changed his name to ” Amirtaraj” and then “Vijayakanth”, dropping the “raj” out of his name and suffixing “kanth.” He is nicknamed “Captain” which was taken from his film Captain Prabhakharan.
Vijayakanth first studied in Rosary Convent in Madurai and later continued his education in M C School in Madurai. He later switched over to Devakottai T. Britto High School where he was an inmate. Vijayakanth’s confidant till date, Ibrahim Ravuthar was his school friend.
Vijayakanth has starred in films including Amman Koil Kizhakkaley, Vaidegi Kathirundal, Chinna Gounder, Vanathai Pola, Sethupathi IPS, Captain Prabakaran, Pulanvisaaranai, Ulavu Thurai, Periyanna, Ramana, Neranja Manasu, and Sabari.
He formed the center-left winged Desiya Murpokku Dravida Kazhagam (DMDK), a regional political party in Tamil Nadu. He formally announced party formation on 14 September 2005 at Madurai. His party contested in all seats in 2006 assembly elections and won one seat contested by him.
- In 1984, Vijayakanth acted in 18 films
- Vijayakanth has a honour of playing the lead role in the first 3D Tamil movie ” AnnaiBhoomi”
- Vijakanth has not acted in any other languages other than tamil
- He has acted with Kamal Hasan in a movie named Manakanaku
- He has acted with RajiniKanth in a movie named En Kaelvikku Enna Bathil, however the scenes in which he appears were edited and so you can’t see them as a part of the movie.
- Vijayakanth is instrumental in introducing, actors SarathKumar, Mansoor ali khan, Livingstone and several other film institute students(R.K.Selvamani, R.Aravintharaj, Ilavarasan etc), as actors and directors.
- Though Vijayakanth hasn’t acted in other language films, each and every film of him has been dubbed into Telugu language and has led to huge revenue collection.
Awards and honours
- 1986 – Filmfare Best Actor Award for Amman Koyil Kizhakalae
- 1989 – Cinema Express Best Actor Award for Poonthotta Kavalkaran
- 2001 – Kalaimamani Award from the Government of Tamil Nadu
- 2001 – Cinema Express Best Actor Award for Vanathai Pole
- 2001 – Indian Government’s Best Citizen award
- 2009 – Filmfare Top 10 Legends of Tamil Cinema Award
- 2001 – Government of Tamil Nadu presented the title and award of Kalaimamani