Tips for making perfect!
|Birth Name||S. Rangarajan|
|Date of Birth||3 May 1935|
|Birth Place||Triplicane, Chennai|
|Religion||Vaishnavite Brahmin, Hindu|
|Profession||Writer (Tamil literature), Author, Editor, Screen play writer, Scientist, Engineer, Columnist, Co-Producer|
|Family||Wife – Sujatha Rangarajan (Postgaduate in Sociology)
Sons – Kesava prasad, Ranga prasad
|Education||Education – Boys High School, Srirangam
College – Bachelor’s degree in physics at St. Joseph’s College, Tiruchy and Bachelor’s degree in Electronics at the MIT, Chennai.
|Expired on||February 27th, 2008|
|Death Cause||Multiple organ failure at Apollo hospital, chennai|
|Tamil magazines he was associated with||Kaniazhi, Ananda Vikatan, Junior vikatan, Kumudam, Kalki, Rani, dhinamani kadhir and Saavi|
|Areas of interest||* Archeology
* Carnatic music
* Tamil literature
|Debut||Short story : Sivaji (1953) in Kumudam
Novel : Nylon Kayuru
Tamil Cinema : Gayathri
|Screenplay & dialogues for Tamil movies||* Gayathri
* Ninaithaley Inikkum
* Karaiyellam Senbagpoo
* From the Heart
* Nadodi Thendra
* Dil se
* Kannathil Muthamittal
* Ayutha Ezhuthu
* Kandukondein Kandukondein
|Science||* Has the ability to explain science in very simple terms.
* Used to answer science queries in Ananda vikatan.
* He introduced scientific approach and sharp intelligence in Tamil cinema.
|Religious books||Has written books on Vaishnavite literature|
|Screenplay||* He entered into Tamil cinema through the movie ‘Gayathri’ which was made based on his novel ‘Gayathri’.
* He became a permanent script writer for Mani Rathnam and Shankar.
* It is said that the ‘Robot’ title of Rajini’s movie was suggested by him. He also suggested ‘Iyandiran’ and ‘Iyandira’ as titles. Also it is based on his novels ‘En Iniya Iyanthira’ and ‘Meendum Geno’.
* His ‘Karai Ellaam Shenbaga Poo’ was translated to French by the author Mrs. Madancalliany Shanmuganandan.
|Dramas||He wrote different dramas especially for the stage actor poornam viswanathan.|
|Famous classmate||He and former president Abdul Kalam were classmates while studying in St. Joseph’s College, Tiruchi.|
|Columnist||He also let people know about the excellent works of wonderful writers in Tamil like Rajanarayanan, Sundara Ramaswamy, Jayamohan, La Sa Ra, Pudhumaipithan etc., by writing about them in his columns.|
|Tamil fonts||He worked on creating Tamil fonts for ‘Movie Magic’ for Marudhanaayagam movie.|
|Facts||* He was brought up in Srirangam, near Tiruchi by his paternal grandmother as his father was facing frequent transfers.
* After working in civil aviation department for 14 years, he joined Bharat Electronics in Bangalore, India.
* He has contributed for educational CD-ROMs also.
|Pen name||While he started writing, as there was another Rangarajan (Ra.Ki) in kumudam, he used his wife’s name.|
|Computer||Tamil PC team, a small team working under his guidance brought out easy-to-use Tamil Linux .|
|Awards||* Received award from Indian National council for Science and Technology (1993)
* VASWIK Award for Electronic Voting Machine.
* Kalaimamani Award from the Tamil Nadu Government.
* MYLAPORE Academy award for doordharshan best serial “Mahan Ramanujar”.
|Books||Novels – 100
Short stories – 250
Science – 10
Stage Plays – 10
Has written some poems too
|About him||Crazy Mohan :
“He is one of the most multi-faceted writers in Tamil. His writing was terrific, consistent and extremely informative. He could write just about anything with amazing ease. Sujatha was certainly a genius.”
|His comment about his writing||“I have never obtained the happiness & satisfaction again which I felt when my first short story Sivaji was published. If someone could search and give me a copy of the story, I might give them a part of my property”.|
|Tips for upcoming writers||Read a lot: Read not only in the language you want to write but also in other languages. Put your perspective on what you read.
Put your thoughts down: Don’t wait for the entire story to shape up in your mind. Put down things as you come across and then organize.
Write what you know: Develop story lines based on what you know and stretch a little through research.