|Profession||Play back singer|
|Date of Birth||March 31st|
|Birth Place||Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala|
|Languages known||Malayalam, Tamil, English and a bit of Hindi|
Husband: Dr.Krishna Mohan
|Debut||Malayalam: Tourist Bungalow– music director M K Arjunan
Tamil: ‘Kavikkuyil’- music by Ilayaraja
|Songs that made her popular||* ‘Puthu Vellai Mazhai’ in ‘Roja’
* ‘thilana thilana’ from Muthu
|Hobbies||light reading, cooking and listening to music|
|Best of her songs||* ‘Netru illatha matram’ (feels it is her best)
* Aasai Aasai (Dhool),
* Mallikayae Mallikayae (Arasu),
* Maankuttiye (Priyamana Thozhi),
* Nenjodu (Kadhal Kondein)
* Thithikkuthe… (Thithikkuthe).
|Her father’s wish||wanted her to become a doctor|
|About K.J.Yesudas||Godsend gift to the world of music.|
|Languages sung||Malayalam, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada, Hindi, Badaga.|
|Hindi songs||Her Hindi numbers in films like ‘Pukaar’ and ‘Taal’ have topped the charts.|
|Total songs||More than 5,000|
|Favourites||* Ragam: kalyani
* Female singers: P.Suseela, Asha, Yesudas, S.P.B, Hariharan
* Carnatic singers: K.J.Yesudas, Sudha Raghunathan, Nityasree.
* Instruments: flute, piano, sarod.
* Actors: Madhavan, Ajit , Vijay, Dhanush, Vikram
* Food: chicken curry with thair saatham.
|Special care for her voice||* Not taking cold or sour items
* Not talking much
* vocal exercises
|About not getting the National award||“I have missed it narrowly in some years. Moreover, some films with good songs are not entered for the National Awards every year. This is part of the game. If I am destined, I will get it one day.”|
|Awards||* Kerala state award twice(in 1997 for ‘Pranayamanithooval’ (‘Azhakiya Ravanan’) and in 1999 for ‘Varamanjal’ (‘Pranayavarnangal’))
* the Asianet award twice ( one for Kandu Kandu’ in ‘Mambazhakkalam.’)
* the Film Critics award 11 times
* the Tamil Nadu state award thrice in 1993, 1996, 2001
* the Cinema Express award
* the Dinakaran award
* Vanitha award and the Mathrubhoomi Award for ‘Kallai Kadavathu’ in ‘Perumazhakkalam’
* Raju Pilakkad Film Award
|Facts||* She sang her first film song when she was still in six standard.
* Her first tamil film song (‘Kaadhal Oviyam Kandein’) was not included in the film. However she took it as a good sign.
* Lost her father at age two
* She married Dr.Mohan in 1981 and moved to Chennai which helped her to launch her career again.
* She made a comeback in 1989 through Priyadarshan’s ‘Kadathanadan Ambadi.’ Her songs in ‘Chitram’ (1988) made her even more famous.
* In Tamil films she made a comeback through ‘Puthuvellai Mazhai’ in A.R. Rahman’s debut film ‘Roja’ in 1992.
* Has some allergy porblems so avoids stage singing.
* Well trained in Hindustani music also.
|Dream||To sing perfectly as long as possible.|