|Nick Name||Sree, Gopu, `The Prince of hat-tricks’,|
|Profession||Cricket player, aspiring poet|
|Date of Birth||February 6, 1983|
|Birth Place||Kakur, Ernakulam district, Kerala, India|
|Languages Known||Malayalam, English, Tamil, Hindi|
|Education|| * Choice School, Kochi & Florence Public School, Bangalore
* Studying psychology
|Family|| Father: Shanthakumaran Nair (a retired Life Insurance Corporation of India officer)
Mother: Savithri Devi (Treasury department official)
Brother: Dipu Santhan (runs a music company in Kochi)
Sister: Nivedita (Television actress in Kerala)
Brother-in law: Madhu Balakrishnan (play back singer)
|Cricket|| Batting style: Right-handed
Bowling style: Right-arm fast-medium
Clubs played: India, Asia XI, Kerala, Kerala Under-19s
|Cricket Debut|| Test debut : India v England at Nagpur – Mar 1-5, 2006
ODI debut : India v Sri Lanka at Nagpur – Oct 25, 2005
Twenty20 Int. debut : South Africa v India at Johannesburg – Dec 1, 2006
|Working||as an assistant manager with Bharat Petroleum when not playing cricket.|
|Favorites||Diety : Ganapati
Spot : Sri Krishna Temple at Guruvaiyur
Singer : Michael Jackson
Books: ‘Art of Fast Bowling’. ‘Sunny Days’, ‘Why not you’
Sports: Football, Table tennis, Hockey
Sportsperson: Lance Armstrong, Allan Donald
Author: Agatha Christie
|Hobbies and interests|| * Avid reader, never misses newspaper articles also
* Can draw portraits, sing well and write poems
|Religious artifacts in his room||Crystal Ganesha, Lord Krishna, Sai Baba, the Bible and an Arabic prayer book|
|Inspiration||Dipu Santhan, his brother who played cricket at the university level.|
|Guide and mentor||P Shivakumar (Ernakulam Cricket Club president)|
|Cricket training||* Ernakulam CC.
* MRF Pace Foundation in Chennai.
|‘Jago India’||The song was written by him and sung by his brother-in-law singer Madhu Balakrishnan for an album ‘Desh’|
|Fame||Wanted it badly because he feels that this recognition is priceless.|
|His characteristics|| * Always wears a blue wristband on the field.
* Carries a laptop with him and would like to watch the footage of the good balls bowled by him. Never worries about the bad balls.
* On-field antics always catches the media attention and always a topic for discussion
|Superstition||Whenever he is out playing he asks his mother to light the lamp before the deity at home. Also insists the lamp should not be put out till the play is over.|
|Brand Ambassador||Muthoot Group|
|Car||Honda City Civic Coupe DX,|
|The name of his home||Taj|
|Break dance||He was the winner of the South Zone Boogie Woogie competition in 1995.|
|Facts||* Played a lot of tennis ball cricket in his young age
* Was the sports captain of Florence school and led the football, badminton, hockey and cricket teams.
* In an inter-school competition of Bharatiya Vidhya Bhavan he won the player of the tournament award.
* His first break came at 18, when he was selected to attend the MRF Pace Foundation. He went to Australia as part of an exchange programme with Commonwealth Bank Cricket Academy.
* Initially a leg-spinner-cum-opening batsman inspired by Anil Kumble. Later, he decided to become a medium-pacer.
*The colony where his home is located, was renamed Sreesanth Nagar. Now it is back to Kailash Nagar as most of the people were not happy with it.
* Once when he wanted to meet Tendulkar he was stopped by a security guard. He managed to bluff his way in, saying that Tendulkar had paid for his scholarship.
* Received an anonymous card ‘Believe in your dreams. Don’t keep dreaming.’ The lines are now imprinted in his heart.
|About him|| Mother: “Cricket is in his blood. I knew he would be a sportsman. His mannerisms were like one. And all he wanted to do was play cricket.”
Brother: “I always encouraged him. I knew he has this passion for the game. He was a very determined boy. I think the best thing about Sree is that he set his goals very high from day one.”
Sister: “He is a god-fearing person. I think he has made it because of his deep faith to Guruvayurappan. ”
Moin Khan: ‘This lad has the ability to go a long way and serve his country with merit and distinction.’
Javagal Srinath: ‘What impressed me most was his attitude’
Coach: “I knew he would make it to the big league one day. Now the time has come. I am sure he will perform great. He is here to stay in the Indian cricket team.”
Himself: “I am a tidy person and I iron my uniform before every match.”
|Records|| * He is the only Kerala bowler to have taken a Ranji Trophy hat-trick against Himachal Pradesh.
* Is the second person from Kerala next to Tinu Yohannan to be in the Indian cricket team.
* He is one among the few bowlers who got selected for the Duleep Trophy in their first season.
|Philosophy in life||“Heads on shoulders. Feet on earth.”|
|Success mantra||Three D’s in life, dedication, determination and discipline, are crucial for his success. Of these, he values personal discipline the most.|
|Quote||“Aim higher and success will follow. Do not be content, and get stagnated with your own performance but aim higher to do better.”|