|Name||Robert Gabriel Mugabe|
|Date of Birth||21st Febraury 1924|
|Place of Birth||Matibiri, Kutama Mission, Zvimba|
|Family||Father – Gabriel Mugabe (Peasant farmer and carpenter)
Mother – Bona Shonhiwa
Wives – Sally Hayfron (Died in 1992)
Grace Marufu (present)
Sons – Nhamodzenyika (Died in 1966)
Bona, Robert Peter Jr.
Daughter – Bellarmine Chatunga
|Marriage Date||Married Grace Marufu, his former secretary on 17th August 1996 after the death of his first wife due to chronic kidney ailment. Grace is 41 years younger than him.|
|Education||School - Kutama Mission School
|Honorary Degrees||* Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Ahmadou Bello, Nigeria
* Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Zimbabwe
* Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Massachusetts, United States of America
* Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Michigan State, United States of America
* Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Morehouse
* Honorary Doctor of Laws, College of St Augustines
* Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Moscow
* Honorary Doctor of Literature and Philosophy
* Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Solusi
* Honorary Doctor of Commerce, University of Fort Hare
* Honorary Technical Doctorate
* Honorary Doctor of Literature/Letters, University of Africa
* Honorary Doctor of Civil Law
* Honorary Technical Doctorate
|Positions Held||* Editor of ‘The Democratic Voice’ (later renamed ‘The People’s Voice’) (which was acting as NDP’s mouthpiece)
* First Secretary of Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF)
* Leader of ZANU Delegation to London Lancaster House Conference which lead for first democratic elections
* Chairman of:
* Executive President of Zimbabwe (1987)
* Prime Minister of Zimbabwe (1980-1987)
* President of Zimbabwe African National Union Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF) (1977)
* Secretary General in Zimbabwe African National Union (1961-1963)
* Founder and Secretary-General of the Zimbabwe African National Union. (1963)
* Co-Founder of Zimbabwe African People’s Union(1961)
* Lecturer in St Mary’s Teacher Training College (1958-1960)
* Lecturer in Chalimbana Teacher Training College (1955-1958)
*Teacher in Apowa Secondary School at Takoradi in Zimbabwe (1942-1949, 1952-1955)
|Hosted||* World Solar Summit (1996)
* Commonwealth Summit (1991)
* 101 Strong Non-Aligned Movement(1986).
|Conferences attended||* Lancaster House Conference (1979)
* Geneva Constitutional Conference on Rhodesia (1976)
* Malta Conference (1978)
* Lancaster House Conference (1979)
|Awards||* Africa Prize for Leadership for the sustainable end of hunger (1988)
* The Jawaharlal Nehru Award (1989)
* Olympic Order of Gold for eminent contribution to Olympic Ideals (1995)
* Order of Jamaica (1996)
* Received honorary Knight Commander of the Order of the Bath by Queen Elizabeth II (1994)
* Received honorary degree from British university
|Facts||* Was qualified as a teacher at the age of 17.
* In late 1950s he got interest in Marxism and African nationalism.
* His political career started when he joined Southern Rhodesia African National Congress while studying at Fort Hare University.
* He met his first wife Sally Hayfron while he was working as teacher at Apowa Secondary School at Takoradi.
* He was arrested for “subversive speech” and imprisoned for 10 years by Rhodesian government. While he was in jail he earned three degrees by correspondence courses.
* In 1976 he was the first joint leader of of the Patriotic Front along with with Joshua Nkomo.
* Was responsible for the first democratic elections to be held in Zimbabwe.
* In 1980 his government was criticized for taking strong action against striking trade unions and student protesters, as well as for moving slowly on the redistribution of white-owned land to black farmers.
* Was an important supporter of the Frelimo (Front for the Liberation of Mozambique) government in Mozambique during the Mozambican civil war. Acted as a mediator between Frelimo and the rebel guerrillas, helping to bring about their 1992 peace treaty.
* Accused of numerous human rights abuses and of leading his country into disaster.
* He is termed as longtime ruler of Zimbabwe.
|White people||Has a strong hatred towards white people.|
|Cricket||He feels that Cricket civilizes people and creates good gentlemen and wants everyone to play cricket in Zimbabwe.|
|Mugonomics||Mugabe’s brand of economic policy known in Zimbabwe|
|Literacy||He increased the literacy rate during his rule to 85%|
|Sad moment||While he was in jail, his 4-year old son died in 1966 from cerebral malaria and he was not allowed to attend the funeral.|
|Hobbies||Watching movies and reading books.|
|About Him||His Wife :
“He’s very warm and gentle at home. He is very fair. He will go to any limits to see that justice is done. He has never been violent for the sake of violence, though we have both struggled for our freedom.”
|Quotes||About White Zimbabweans :
“Our party must continue to strike fear in the heart of the white man, our real enemy!”
His Optimism :
|Email ID||[email protected]|
|Contact Number||09263 470-7091/8|
|Contact Address||Office of the President,