|Date of Birth||17th April 1972|
|Birth Place||Nattaranpotta, Kundasale in Kandy, Sri Lanka|
|Marriage Date||March 21, 2005|
|Family||Father – Sinnasamy Muttiah (Businessman)
Mother – Lakshmi
Wife – Madhimalar
Son – Naren
Grandfather (Paternal) – Periyasamy Sinasamy
Father-in-law – Dr S. Ramamurthy
Mother-in-law – Dr Nithya Ramamurthy
|Education||College – St Anthony’s College, Katugastota|
|Major teams||Sri Lanka, Asia XI, Chennai Super Kings, ICC World XI, Kandurata, Kent, Lancashire, Tamil Union Cricket and Athletic Club|
|Style||Batting : Right-hand bat
Bowling : Right hand off-breaks
|Considered as||Greatest off-spin bowler in cricket history|
|Chief weapons||* Big-spinning off-break
* Two versions of the top-spinner
* Super-flexible wrist
* Special ball ‘Doosra’ spins in the opposite direction to his stock ball.
|Controversy about his bowling||* In 1996 the ICC cleared him after biomechanical analysis at the University of Western Australia and at the University of Hong Kong.
* It was concluded that his action created the ‘optical illusion of throwing’.
* He was called for chucking on the 1998-99 tour to Australia and cleared again.
|Ambassador for||United Nations World Food Program|
|Early dream||Reaching 700 test wickets|
|Quote||“The best thing we can give children is education. This will equip them when they grow up to become full citizens of their country”|
|About him||Simon Barnes:
“Muralitharan is a truly great cricketer.”
|Records||* The highest number of international wickets in Tests and ODIs
* The most 10-wicket hauls in a match at Test level (20).
* Only player to take 10 wickets/match against every Test playing nation.
* The most 5-wicket hauls in an innings at Test level (60).
* Fastest to 350, 400, 450, 500, 550, 600, 650 and 700 Test wickets, in terms of matches played.
* Only player to take 10 wickets in a Test in four consecutive matches and he has achieved this feat twice.
* Only player to take 50 or more wickets against every Test playing nation.
* He and Jim Laker (England) are the only bowlers to have taken atleast 9 wickets in a Test innings twice.
* Only bowler to take 7 wickets in an innings against the most countries (5).
* He and Jacques Kallis are the only bowlers to receive the most number of ‘Man of the Match’ awards in test cricket (18).
* Third player to take more than 700 test wickets.
* First spinner to reach 746 Test wickets.
* Second in the list of all time wicket takers in both Test cricket and One-Day International cricket.
* First player to pick up a stunning 1000 international wickets.
|Facts||* He is a Sri Lankan Tamil whose origin is in India.
* His Grandfather came to Sri Lanka to work in Tea Plantations.
* His father is involved in making biscuits.
* His wife has done MBS and she is Director In Charge of Malar Hospital, Chennai, TamilNadu.
* He became the quickest bowler from any county to achieve 100 Championship wickets, after playing just 12 matches.
* He was named as the leading player in the world by Wisden Cricketers’ Almanack (2006).