|Name||Lewis Carl Hamilton|
|Profession||Professional Race car driver|
|Date of Birth||7-jan 1985|
|Native place||Stevenage, Hertfordshire, England|
Half brother: Nicholas
|Signed||to McLaren development programme at 13|
Formula 3 Euroseries 2005
Formula Renault 2003
|Team mate||Fernando Alonso, the defending F1 Champion|
|Favourites||Music: R & B, Reggae, Hip-Hop, and funky house,
Music Artists: 2Pac and 50 Cent
|Role model||Michael Schumacher|
|About him||Michael Schumacher: “Hamilton ‘s a quality driver, very strong and only 16. If he keeps this up I’m sure he will reach F1. It’s something special to see a kid of his age out on the circuit. He’s clearly got the right racing mentality”
McLaren CEO Martin Whitmarsh: “Hamilton has the potential to become the greatest F1 driver ever”
McLaren-Mercedes boss Ron Dennis: “Attraction of being a bit of a My Fair Lady story”
|First meeting with McLaren-Mercedes boss Ron Dennis||“Hi, my name is Lewis Hamilton and one day I’d like to drive for you.” – at that time he was only 10 years old|
|Heritage||His father’s family originates from the Caribbean island of Grenada|
|About his colour||“The way I see it, my colour is an advantage in that it’s something people talk about,” he said.
“Being the first black man doesn’t matter much to me personally, but for the sport itself it probably means quite a lot.”
|Milestones||* He progressed through the Cadet (1993-6), Junior Yamaha (1997), Junior Intercontinental A (1998-9), Intercontinental A (1999), Formula A (2000) and Formula Super A (2001) ranks in seven seasons, becoming European Champion in 2000 with maximum points
* Hamilton was (13-year-old) the youngest ever driver to secure an F1 contract.
|Facts||* His father was a former British Rail worker, now an IT consultant* Started his racing career at the age of 8.
* Among his notable performances was a dominant win at the fifth round held at the Nürburgring, despite serving a penalty for speeding in the pit lane
* At the age of 12 he learnt karate and gained his first black belt
* Hamilton is the first black driver of African or Afro-Caribbean ancestry to compete in F1, although Willy T. Ribbs had tested an F1 car two decades earlier.
* He played football in his school team along with Ashley Young
* At the 2007 Australian Grand Prix, he qualified fourth and finished third in the race, thus becoming the thirteenth driver to finish on the podium on his GP début
* He is the third youngest driver to claim pole position in a World Championship race
* His parents separated when he was two.
* Following Lewis’ debut win at Canada in 2007, McLaren Mercedes broke with tradition by letting him keep the crystal trophy. Contractually, the team’s drivers are required to relinquish their trophies so they can be displayed at the McLaren Technology Centre.
* Lewis was given a diamond-studded helmet organised by diamond company and McLaren team sponsor Steinmetz, to wear in the 2007 Monaco Grand Prix
* He is already the youngest championship leader, the youngest Briton to win a grand prix and the only driver since the series started in 1950 to finish all his first seven races on the podium.
* British magazine Autosport featured him in their “Top 50 Drivers of 2005” issue, ranking Hamilton 24th.
* After his record-breaking start, Hamilton was widely praised by the British media, with Frank Williams describing him as “superhuman”.