Tips for making perfect!
|Year of Birth||1968|
|Education||* Presentation Convent, Church Park
* Masters in Economics from Ethiraj College for Women
|Family|| Father: Mu. Karunanidhi
Mother: Rajathi Ammal
Husband: G. Aravindan
|Famous step- brothers||* Mu.Ka. Stalin
* Mu.Ka. Azhagiri
|Appointment to Rajya Sabha||“This is my first step into active politics. I am overwhelmed by the confidence reposed in me by my party and leaders. I will perform to my best ability.”|
|Political agenda||* taking up issues of the poor.
* fighting for women’s empowerment and the 33 per cent reservation for them.
|Areas of interest||Rural development, environment, culture, arts, education|
|Marriage date||August 21, 1997|
|Favourite books|| The Last Mughal -William Dalrymple
Chennai, not Madras – A. R. Venkatachalapathy
Aazhi Sool Ulagam – Joe D Cruz
Director: Polish director Krzysztof Kieslowski and she likes Iranian cinema.
|Other favourites||Polish director Krzysztof Kieslowski and Iranian cinema.|
|Previous jobs||* as a sub-editor of The Hindu in Chennai in 1992 – 1997. She worked with the arts section of the newspaper, the Friday Review, till 1997.
* Was in charge of Kungumam, a Tamil weekly.
* Was Features Editor of the Tamil publication, local newspaper, Tamil Murasu, in Singapore
|Columnist||Works as a columist in ‘The Week’|
|Tamil Maiyam||Co-manages the Tamil Maiyam, an organisation to promote Tamil literature, arts and culture|
|Karuthu.com||a forum for free expression of views was started by her along with Karthi Chidambaram|
|Her views||* If the chastity is only for women, then they should decide about it.
* While I like Thiruvalluvar for lot of things, I don’t like few of his view. I should be allowed to view my opinions without being labeled as an enemy of Tamil or Tamil Culture.
|Her first marriage||“So many women go through their lives struggling. I was among the lucky few who had the opportunity to come out of something I didn’t want to be in.”|
|Religious beliefs||“It’s not easy being a non-believer. You don’t have anything to hold on to.”|
|Literary works||* Karuvarai Vasanai
* Agathinai, Paarvaigal
* Karukum Marudani
|Music Album||Created an album called ‘Silapathigaram’ with Kanimozhi being the lyricist and Bombay Jayashri composing the music.|
|Assets||* a commercial building in the Central Business District of Anna Road worth Rs. 1.61 crores
* bank deposits to the tune of Rs. 6.58 cr
* shares worth Rs. 3.5 lakhs in Westgate Logistics (P) Ltd
* Jewellery worth Rs. 3.61 lakhs
|Documentary||Working on a documentary on her father’s career spanning over six decades, which also includes views from people like V.P.Singh, Cho etc.|
|About Srilankan Tamil Issue||“If a government wants to fight against a militant group, it can do so, but please don’t wage a war against the people. Though they are Tamils, they are living in Sri Lanka under their governance. You can’t have my government opening fire on me, or clamming economic bans upon me. So I stand by the Tamils and their suffering. There is an issue and it has to be looked at in the right way and with honesty. They are my people and speak my language. So it hurts me more.”|
|Award||Rotary award, ‘For the Sake of Honour’ award from The Hindu|
|About her father||* “Whenever I wanted him, he has been there for me. He has been a very good father. I can talk just about anything with him, be it books, or a latest film, politics, or about my friends or even share old memories. Maybe he never came to my school on a parent’s day but you learn to accept that.”
* “Parasakti is her father’s best work, also likes his Tanga Tamil and Thirukural Orai.”
|About her mother||“She is a strong woman. She has been a great support through the ups and downs in my life. She has been a tower of strength for me.”|
|Her father about her||* Declared her as his ‘Literary heir’
* “She has my poetic ability, literary craving, love for the Tamil language and the ability to work hard.”
|Organized||Chennai Sangamam – Namma Theru Vizha (Our Street Festival) showcasing Chennai’s long-lost traditional art forms|
|Facts||* She will be the second member from Karunanidhi’s family to enter the Rajya Sabha after the DMK chief’s nephew the late Murasoli Maran.
* Her first marriage with a Sivakasi businessman of Ayya Nadar family while she was studying for her Masters ended in divorce.
* Her mother owns Tamilkani publications, which is worth Rs.20.76 lakh and Royal Furniture
* Has cordial relationships with Mu.Ka. Stalin and Mu.Ka. Azhagiri.
* She was born when the World Tamil Conference was taking place in Madras(Chennai) in 1968. Her father was then the state PWD minister in Annadurai’s first DMK ministry
* She is an ardent lover of and a recognized expert in Sangam literature
* She actively took up the cause of freedom of expression on several occasions, including when actor Kushboo was hounded by sections of the political class for articulating views on pre-marital sex.
* she did a film appreciation course in Pune
* she loves visiting old shrines.