Cucumber is an important health food. It provides a very healthy juice beneficial for increasing the flow of urine. For rheumatic conditions, it complements the effects of celery and carrot juice. Its juice is a soothing skin lotion. In fact, it is the best skin lotion. The peel, like lemon peel, is good to be used on the hands most especially after it’s been in a strong detergent or in a very hot water.
Calories & Nutritive Values : Per 100 gm.
- Vitamin A 180 I.U.
- Niacin Trace
- Vitamin C 9 mg.
- Calcium 32 mg.
- Iron 1.8 mg.
- Phosphorus 27 mg.
- Potassium 80 mg.
- Carbohydrates 17 gm.
- Calories 70
Cucumber can be eaten unpeeled with a dip, can be added to your favorite salad or sandwich, burger or to your favorite vegetables. When buying cucumber, take note that it should be dark green in color, it is an indication that it is still fresh.
Cucumber is also good to reduce heat and inflammation. It is very useful to treat tired eyes and remove the eye bags under your eyes by placing a slice of cucumber over closed eyes.. It also helps lung, stomach and chest problems, gout, and tapeworm. Fresh cucumber juice is good to reduce heartburn or sooth stomach acid, also for those suffering from gastritis or ulcer.
Other health benefits of cucumber is derived from the fact that it is very low in calories, about 4 per ounce (54KJ per 100g) being an average figure. Very high potassium contents have been claimed for the plant which from the most up-to-date analyses available would seem to be an exaggeration. The vitamin content is also generally to be found between low and average for the edible vegetable.
Its fiber-rich skin and their levels of potassium and manganese helps regulate blood pressure and help promote nutrient functions. Its the dietary fibers regulate cholesterol level and support bowel regularity. Its magnesium content relaxes nerves and muscles and keeps blood circulating smoothly.
If you want a happy skin, then cucumber is the answer. As cucumber and the skin share the same level of hydrogen, it becomes easier for cucumber to mask all the problem areas. It helps in soothing and softening your skin which can get you relaxed in no time.
With so many useful ingredients in cucumber it can help you in treating so many skin problems. It has become part of daily beauty product into face packs, facials, juice and many other things which can affect your skin. Due to its cooling effect it can be termed as a magic wand for all your skin problems.
Cucumber is a fruit that came from the same family as pumpkin, zucchini and other squashes. It has a dark green rind and white succulent flesh. There are 2 types of cucumbers the pickling varieties and the slicing varieties.
- Cucumber is best natural diuretic known, secreting and promoting the flow of urine.
- Helps in kidney and urinary bladder disease.
- Liver disease
- Pancreatic disease
- The potassium content of cucumber makes it highly useful for conditions of high and low blood pressure
- Cucumber contains erepsin, the enzyme that helps to digest protein.
- The high silicon and sulphur content of the cucumber is said to promote the growth of hair, especially when the juice of the cucumber is added to the juice of carrot, lettuce and spinach.
- A mixture of cucumber juice with carrot juice is said to be beneficial for rheumatic conditions resulting from excessive uric acid in the body.
- Cucumber juice is also valuable for helping diseases of the teeth, gums, especially in cases of pyorrhea.
- The high mineral content of this vegetable also helps to prevent splitting of nails of the fingers and toes.
- Cucumber, radish and bitter gourd are beneficial in diabetes.