Mass communication, a relatively new subject, offers exciting career options to students today. Those qualified in mass communication can find placement in publishing houses, advertisement agencies, television, radio, website, etc. The subjects covered by a mass communication course are generally, public relations, advertisement and communications.
Candidates aspiring for a career in journalism must have completed 10+2 to join a Bachelors course in mass communication. After having graduated, students can opt for post graduation in mass communication for which the minimum eligibility is a degree in the same subject or journalism. Graduates and post graduates with journalism or mass communication as the main subject are qualified to become a journalist. Some universities and institutes also offer short-term certificate and diploma courses.
Apart from educational qualifications, those wishing to pursue a career in this field must have some qualities that would help them sustain for long. Aspirants must have strong communication skills, both verbal as well as written, be an extrovert, a team player, ability to organize events, a liking to meet various people, creativity, self-confidence and stamina, among others.
Jobs and careers:
Job opportunities exist in publications, television, radio, advertisement agencies and public relations agencies. Some industries or companies also recruit their own public relations personnel for which a degree in mass communication is mandatory. Film stars and politicians also hire their own public relations personnel.
Listed herein are some of the institutes that offer courses on mass communication:
- A J K Mass Communication Centre, Jamia Millia Islamia, New Delhi – 110025
- Amity School of Journalism and Communication, Saket, New Delhi RBEF office: AKC House, E-27, Defense Colony, New Delhi – 110024.
- Asian College of Journalism, Express Building, 1 Queen’s Road, Bangalore –560001.
- Department of Communication and Journalism, University of Poona, Pune –411004.
- Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg, JNU New Campus, New Delhi – 110067
- Manipal Institute of Communication, Udayavani Building, Press Corner, Manipal – 576119.
- New Delhi YMCA, Centre for Mass Media, 1 Jai Singh Road, New Delhi –110001.
- Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication, Senapati Bapat Marg, Pune – 411004.