The export market
Being the fourth largest export earner in India leather industry has grown leaps and bounds. This growth needed more professionalism in the industry. Earlier, for a career in leather technology one just needed to undergo formal training rather than possess requisite educational qualifications.
But, of late, due to high-level of professionalism expected by the industry people, many universities, colleges and institutions have come up with exclusive courses on leather technology. There are two career options available both of which are lucrative. While one is designing, the other is the technical side.
Designers specialize in designing accessories like belts, handbags, purses, upholstery, baggage, garment tags, vanity cases, briefcases, gift items, shoes, slippers, etc. Those preferring the technical side can opt for production field. They can find placement in tanneries.
Most universities offer B.Tech in Leather Technology. The duration of this course is 4½ years. Eligibility to seek admission is 10+2 with science and mathematics as core subjects. Some of the subjects taught at the graduation level are: basic sciences and engineering courses, leather processing, applications of biochemistry and biotechnology, and leather product designing and development using software. Those opting for higher studies in the subject can enroll for M.Tech, which is a three-year course. Various certificate and diploma courses are also available.
Institutes offering courses on leather designing and technology:
- Anna University, Sardar Patel Road, Guindy, Chennai – 600025.
- AVI School of Fashion and Shoe Technology, S.C.O., 493-94, 2nd Floor, Sector 35-C, Chandigarh.
- Bharath Institute of Science and Technology, 173, Agharam Road, Selaiyur PO, Chennai – 600073.
- Central Footwear Training Institute (CFTI), 65/1, GST Road, Guindy, Chennai – 600032.
- Central Leather Research Institute (CLRI), Adyar, Chennai – 600020.
- Central Footwear Training Institute (CFTI), Agra.
- College of Leather Technology, Salt Lake City, Kolkata – 700091.
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Regional Engineering College, P.O., REC Jalandhar – 144011.
- Footwear Design and Development Institute (FDDI), Noida – 201301.
- Harcourt Butter Technological Institute, Kanpur – 208002.
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), New Delhi – 110016.
- Shoe Design Centre, 5477/72, Kikarwala Chowk, Karol Bagh, New Delhi – 110005
- Indian Institute of Leather Products (IILP), 102, Mangalapuram, SIDCO Industrial Estate, Ambattur, Chennai.
- Muzaffarpur Institute of Technology, Muzaffarpur – 842003.
- Prototype Development and Training Centre (PDTC), National Small Industries Development Organisation, Guindy Industrial Estate, Ekkaduthangal, PO, Chennai – 600097.
- Priyadarshini Engineering College, Anna Salai, Konamedu, Vaniyambadi, 635751, Vellore District.
- VTA Institutes of Leather and Leather Products, 21, Kailashgiri Road, Udaendram, Vaniyambadi – 635734.